Sunday event to aid potential students

TCC will serve as the host site for College Goal Sunday, a statewide program for prospective students.
   TCC representatives will answer questions about financial aid resources, explaining the application process and the grants for which individuals may qualify, particularly the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
   “ This is an opportunity for prospective and current students and their families to talk to financial aid professionals one-on-one and ask questions regarding financial aid and the forms required to apply for it,” Erika Williams, SE Campus financial aid director, said.
   The free event is Sunday, Feb. 12, in the SSTU Living Room on South Campus from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Refreshments will be served, and reservations are not required.
   Those attending have been asked to bring copies of their 2005 income tax returns, as it will help with determining the financial aid they qualify for.
   Undocumented Texas residents who graduated from a public Texas high school also will receive assistance in completing financial aid forms, in accordance with Texas Legislature’s House Bill 1403.
   Financial aid applications will be processed online and in paper format on site.
The approval process will begin that afternoon. Applications will then be sent to the college or university of their choice.
   David Ximenez, TCC financial aid director, said the event is an effort to give financial aid access to those who are eligible to receive it but need help with forms and understanding the process.
   “ We’re excited about being a College Goal Sunday host site because it is an excellent program that will benefit many students and parents of Tarrant County. Hosting the event is a natural extension of our role at TCC,” he said.
   It is projected that College Goal Sunday programs will increase in number of sites and will serve more than 100,000 students and their families by 2007.