The Student News Site of Tarrant County College

The Collegian

The Student News Site of Tarrant County College

The Collegian

The Student News Site of Tarrant County College

The Collegian

South basketball tourney heats up

By John Harden/sports editor

With the playoffs in sight, six of the seven South Campus teams played Thursday looking to improve their records.

Head Huntas vs. Poppers

Huntas’ Nick Vance led his team with 21 points to defeat the Poppers, 74-45.

Huntas took the lead early and never saw it slip. Huntas demonstrated something that each team has lacked this tournament – teamwork.

Good ball movement and tight defense helped the Huntas to maintain control of the game.

In the first half, the Poppers struggled to stay in the game. By the end of the half, the Poppers were down, 32-26.

In the second half, Huntas poured on the points and increased their lead greatly. Seven minutes into the half, the Poppers led, 67-42.

Kelvin Gaudelli and Antonio Washington led their team in scoring with 12 and 11 points, respectively.  

Black vs. Free Agents #2

With 16 total points, Black’s Kendrick Speed led his team, helping to put away the Free Agents in the final seconds of the game.

At the end of the first half, Black maintained a comfortable lead over the Agents, leading 42-29.

The Agents, faced with a 13-point deficit, began to threaten Black in the final two minutes.

Down by two points with only 10 seconds to go, the Agents had the ball. Anthony Carter, who was hot from 3-point range, took the final shot for the win but came up short. Agents lost 58-56.

Poppers vs. Agents #1

In a 71-35 blowout victory, the Poppers redeemed themselves against the Agents after losing to Head Huntas.

The Agents recorded a total of 16 turnovers, which led to Poppers mounting a 45-13 run in the first half.

Agents’ Glendale Johnson tried to give his team the offensive boost needed, scoring 18 points, but his effort could not match those of the Poppers.

Unlike their first game, the Poppers demonstrated more teamwork by passing the ball instead of players attempting to fly solo.

Jammal Brooks led the Poppers with 16 points and three assists. Jimmy Duffie and Keith Guess had 15 and 14 points, respectively.

Fort Worth Lakers vs. Agents #2

In game four, Agents #2 returned after losing to Black in game two and narrowly escaped another loss, beating the Lakers 45-44.

After coming up short in game two, Anthony Carter contributed 16 points to help his team secure the close win.

The Lakers took control of the game early, mounting a 17-2 run and leaving the Agents on the road to another loss.

In the second half, the Lakers slowly began to let their lead slip.

After the Agents successfully clawed their way back into the game, the team was down by two with 21 seconds left.

The Lakers had possession and attempted to run down the clock, but an offensive foul gave the ball back to the Agents with 15 seconds left.

Driving toward the basket, Larance Wynn was fouled and sent to the free-throw line.

After burying each of the two baskets, the Agents gained the one-point advantage with five seconds left.

Unable to get the ball down the court in time, the Lakers fell to the Agents.

The tournament continues 2:30 p.m. Thursday with three games and teams fighting for playoff positions.

Donate to The Collegian

Your donation will support the student journalists of Tarrant County College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Collegian