Serving the Tarrant County College District

Advisers provide resources for debt-free education

February 5, 2020 | Alisia Oliver | reporter
Photos by Charles Okafor/The Collegian. NE library manager James Ponder and library specialist Samantha Kayem discuss a variety of methods to help students raise funds to pay for their educations Jan. 29.

When NE student Shan He moved here from China 18 months ago, she knew very little English. In that short time, she dove into her work at TCC, taking her English classes twice and constantly asking questions if she needed answers.

Shan He is now a math tutor, a lifeguard in the gym and works in the TCC library.

She was one of four panelists as part of the Power Up Your Scholarship Essay presentation held for students Jan. 29.

“Applying for a scholarship is not hard. If I can do it, you can do it. There are so many resources here. People will help you,” she said.

Students learned about resources that will help them better their scholarship essays, as well as different ways to get involved
on NE Campus.

Advisers provided students with information about FAFSA, Phi Theta Kappa, which is TCC’s honor society, and Club Rush.

NE student Maryam Ibrahim learned how important it was to establish a relationship with instructors because it is helpful to have at least three academic sources for letters of recommendation.

“I’m thinking of looking into it,” Ibrahim said about scholarships.

NE student and panelist Juan Esparza said to create a file titled, “Why am I great?” and include achievements, accomplishments and awards received. This can later be used for scholarship application essays.

“If you want to do it, you will,” Shan He said.