Advisors take strain out of transferring

November 20, 2019 | Joseph Flores | reporter

A career and transfer event on NW Campus helped students learn how to move from college to a career or four-year university.

Career service representatives discussed wages and career opportunities in Texas and were also available to help students with their resumes.

Undergraduate admission counselors from various schools such as TCU, UNT and Tarleton were also available to talk to students.

“We have students that know where to transfer and what colleges are a good fit,” NW student development specialist Cassie Fennel said. “But it is not 100%. We look at degree plans and talk about careers with those students.”

Tarleton undergraduate admission counselor Lindsey Mcgonigle said that students need to know that transferring is a lot easier than expected.

“TCC is the main population in Tarleton’s Fort Worth campus,” she said. “Usually, I hear people say that they won’t get the scholarship or grant money. Since they don’t know, I advise them to try.”

Having this collaboration with the career and transfer service in the WTLO building in front of the theater lobby is advantageous, according to Fennel.

“We are meeting students where they are,” she said. “We are coming to the students, we are in their location and a lot of students walk by.”

Students have opportunities to receive help even if they don’t know where to get started in transferring.

“I help the students with the ‘I don’t know’ piece, but they will have to do their own research as well, kind of like homework,” said NW transfer center coordinator Rachelle Montero.