Gamers compete for championship glory

November 20, 2019 | R.L. Potenzo | reporter
Photos by Joseph Serrata/The Collegian. NW students Alfredo Avelar and Udiel Martinez go head to head for a chance to compete at the end of the year tournament which will include students from the TCC district. They will compete against universities such as UTA, TCU and UNT in December.

More than 100 students competed in digital battle or over old table-top board games at Gaming For Change Nov. 15 at the Walsh Library on NW Campus.

TCC students’ and MHMR gamers’ faces lit up with excitement as they moved from station to station. Games were lined up in the NW campus library with hourly competitions, including Jenga, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Magic: The Gathering. Students were welcome to show up throughout the afternoon.

“It’s an opportunity to bring students of all abilities together and show community doing something they love, gaming,” NW English instructor Audrey Haferkamp said.

As the afternoon progressed, students mingled and competed with one another for prizes such as a tablet, video games and memorabilia. MHMR and TCC provided lunch, drinks and snacks. MHMR is a mental health organization for children and adults dealing with mental disabilities.

Participants of MHMR tournament focus on getting first place in a Mario Kart competition. Among the games played at the event were Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Street Fighter V and Jenga.

MHMR representative Lamont Templeton leads the Affirmative Business Group at MHMR as a part of their vocational training program, which empowers young adults with disabilities.

“They’re all like my brothers and sisters,” Templeton said.

NW student Nick Frey, an avid gamer, said he enjoys coming to these events and hopes to see it happen each year.

“I get to meet people and play games with others,” he said. “I really enjoy it.”

Last year, as a test run of this event, Templeton and his group including Frey, battled in a gaming competition much like this one, only it was with TCU and Texas Wesleyan students, Frey says he lost that time, but this year is planning to head to the finals.

NW students Jacob Beam and Ricardo Diaz listen to music while playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at the tournament.

“No matter if you are a student, with or without a mental disability, games are what connects us and gives us the chance to all be the same,” Haferkamp said. “The students really seem to enjoy it.”

Students will gather again on Dec. 2 for competition finals. University representatives and transfer partners from various colleges such as UTA, UNT and TCU will be there to talk information about gaming careers and transfer options.