Best places in Tarrant County to fuel up, study and take a break

amber davis
illustrator

With restrictions loosening and vaccinations being made available to more people, it is safe to say that there will be more opportunities to get out of the house and study at a coffee shop in the near future. 

To help students get a better idea of places to visit, let’s take a quick trip around Tarrant County to find the best mom and pop coffee shops.

BEST LATTE: Lazy Daisy

Such a lovely shop that offers the coolest dairy alternative: macadamia milk. This shop is on the small end, but has a very cozy and warm atmosphere. Do yourself a favor and stop by and ask for their a Honey Bee Latte, add lavender and sub macadamia milk and you won’t be disappointed.

BEST DESIGN: Black Coffee

The inside of this coffee shop is as indulgent to the eye as their coffee is to the taste buds. Each square foot offers something new to take in. From the lovely mural wall to the neon yellow sign. Located about 15 minutes from TCC South Campus, this East side Fort Worth location is a great place to study, grab a bite and enjoy a great roast. Come for the Honey Lavender Latte and stay for the ambiance.

BEST STUDY SPOT: Common Grounds

With its open-air concept and vaulted ceilings you will find yourself in awe of the atmosphere in Common Grounds. Located off of Berry Street, right around the corner from Texas Christian University, this coffee shop offers table space for group study, lounging space for the solo artist and all of the charging outlets a student can desire. Bonus: if you like it quiet, this is your spot. The acoustics are set up for live music. When that is not happening the place soaks up sound like your local library. This gem of a coffee shop is located about ten minutes drive from Trinity River Campus.

BEST SECRET SAUCE: Summer Moon

Oh Summer Moon, how do I love thee? There is so much greatness to what Summer Moon has to offer, as is evident in the consistent crowd coming through the doors. With locations in both Keller and South Side, this little shop is sure to be within reach. In the center of a pandemic it may not be ideal for those not yet vaccinated to study or take a break, but the coffee is worthy of a take out. Their signature sauce, Moon Milk, is like a taste of a soft cloud on a sunny day. Many have tried to crack it, no one has succeeded. 

BEST VEGAN OPTIONS: Fire Cup

One of the newest coffee shops in Fort Worth, Fire Cup has a great deal to offer every coffee lover. Their most notable attribute is the assortment of vegan and gluten free options. This little shop is located in the heart of Haltom City, and nearly splits the difference between NE and NW Campus. It is a little loud inside because they offer smoothies and the blender lets you know it works, but the hemp milk latte more than makes up for it.  

BEST HOMEMADE ROAST: Babylon

This little shop is like no other. Family run and operated, this coffee shop specializes in Turkish Coffee. If you love strong coffee but can’t quite find your match, then this is your spot. The Turkish Coffee is a highly concentrated brew that is served in a very small, ornate metal cup and poured into a petite porcelin glass. Babylon is also a roastery and sells its own beans. Alongside the unique coffee you can also smell the homemade pastries. Located around the corner from NE Campus, this spot is sure to fill with studious sudents.

BEST CONCIENTIOUS CUP: Axiom

Axiom Coffee specializes in being from the mile-high region in Honduras and works with WGO to employ single moms and house neglected and abused children. This mission-forward company is between NE and NW campus in Keller and has ample space inside to have a meeting with a large group or to just sit and enjoy a private cup of joe.