Board president praises interim chancellor’s start

ALEX HOBEN
editor-in-chief
alexandra.hoben@my.tccd.edu

Dr. LeBlanc Speaking at the board meeting at Trinity River campus. Photo by Ariel Desantiago / The Collegian
Dr. LeBlanc Speaking at the board meeting at Trinity River Campus. Photo by Ariel Desantiago / The Collegian

Interim Chancellor Elva LeBlanc has had a successful first six months, according to some members of the board of trustees.

On June 23, former Chancellor Eugene Giovannini’s resignation was accepted by the board of trustees, and LeBlanc was appointed as interim chancellor of TCC effective June 24. Since then, she has moved into the job well, according to board President Teresa Ayala.

“I think the transition has been smooth, I really do,” Ayala said. “She has such connections to this college.”

Ayala described the different positions that LeBlanc has had at TCC and how dedicated she is to the college as well as the students, seeing as she was once a student herself.

“We’re fortunate to have somebody like her with her experience and her passion,” she said. Board Vice President Kenneth Barr echoed Ayala’s sentiments.

“Dr. LeBlanc has done an outstanding job on the interim basis,” Barr said. “Frankly, I don’t think the college has missed a beat over the last six months or so while we were going through this transition.”

When asked, trustee Bill Greenhill immediately started describing how much LeBlanc has been able to cooperate with the board.

“She is a leader. She works with people very well,” he said. “She works with us very well, with the board and each member of the board, very respectful. I am so grateful.” Greenhill said how optimistic he is for the future of the college now that LeBlanc has settled into her position.

“We’re on a roll. There’s no question that we’re going forward,” Greenhill said. “There’s no doubt in my mind that we have a brilliant future coming.”

According to the board, LeBlanc has been hard at work during her initial six months in her association with the TCC administration. During the Aug. 18 board of trustees meeting, it was mentioned that LeBlanc had several appointments with the board members as well as the chief operating officer Susan Alanis, to work with and clarify items of the budget that would be approved later that evening.

“I want to thank Dr. LeBlanc and Ms. Alanis and all those who have been meeting with the trustees over a lot of this material to make sure their questions were answered and addressed,” Ayala said.

Currently, there is no immediate need to search for a candidate for the permanent position, Barr said.

Trustee Bill Greenhill shares a laugh while at the Aug. 18 board meeting. Photo by Ariel Desantiago / The Collegian

“I would anticipate we’ll take action later,” he said. “At this point, things are running well, and I don’t think we’re in a hurry to start the process.”

According to the vice chancellor of communications and external affairs Reginald Gates, there has not been an official timeline or process set yet for the search.

“The board wanted to take intentional time to look at the overall organizational needs of the college.”

When asked about the search, Ayala explained how both the board and LeBlanc are focused on putting the students first and keeping the district running efficiently after these changes.

“But as far as how we’re going to move forward, I think we’ve been evaluating that because we need to just make sure that the wheels continue to run and that the students are still being served and the community is still being served,” she said. “Because again, we had to make sure we were focused on the college and the students and that’s where our focus has been, and she knows that too.”