Breakfast important as morning starter

Viewpoint by Sharon Murra-Kapon/south news editor

Who has time to think about breakfast in the morning?

Whether people are single or married, with children or without, breakfast is one of the most skipped meals of the day.

First of all, “breakfast” means to break a fast. When the body does not have food in more than eight hour —a typical night’s sleep— the mind is unlikely to function properly. This means the body is starting a day full of activities with the lowest fuel level.

According to a Harvard Medical School article, starting a day without breakfast is like driving a car without stopping to fill up the gas tank.

Children and adults who eat breakfast tend to have longer attention spans, are less overweight and less likely to have behavior problems.

Pat Marling, NE Campus coordinator of health services, said 9 to 10 of the people she sees daily are women who didn’t eat breakfast. They say they felt lightheaded and wondered why.

Marling also said the body must have protein in the morning, carbohydrates to jump start the day and glucose to keep them going.

Breaking the fast doesn’t have to radically change one’s mornings. Protein includes eggs, cheese, tofu, hummus and even peanut butter; carbohydrates are found in bread, oatmeal, pancakes and waffles. Glucose or good sugar is in fruits, which can be to cereal or oatmeal. Fruits are also a great source of fiber.

A lthough mornings can be busy times, there are ways to make them go smoothly.

Preparing the night before really helps. Leaving cereal or bread at the table and the coffee pot ready to go makes breakfast an easier task. Assigning roles to family members in the morning can make a huge difference.

Starting out with a light bite, maybe toast and juice or milk, works for most people. I started carrying nuts and dried fruit in my purse just in case I need a little more fuel.

According to the American Heart Association Web site, eating a healthy breakfast may help reduce weight gain, diabetes and heart disease.

“If you are trying to lose weight, eat breakfast because it starts your metabolism,” Marling said.

The answers are out there; it is a matter of putting them to work.