Campus pride without students

Renee Herrera

Student activities on all TCC campuses collaborate on how to be innovative and keep students informed and social during this isolating pandemic. 

“Our biggest challenge has been getting the word out to everyone, getting them properly informed about events,” assistant director of student development  Eddie Brassart said. 

“We used to do everything face to face on campus,” he said. “But now everything is virtu

TR student activities coordinator Kelsey Bratcher said she is a social person and loves interacting with students. She learned a lot from the hurdles in March and April about how to keep those students together. 

“With the changes to online programs and activities, I was able to be creative and explore new programs and activities for students,” she said. 

She took a  speaker event  that was originally on campus to Facebook live. 

“I know that students are looking for ways to connect with TCC and peers — it is what feels normal,” she said.  

But in these new challenges,Brassart, Bratcher and others have found ways to combat them. 

Using our college Blackboard as a space  to meet and plan, student activities have come up with new ways to keep the college social life alive. 

From answering student’s questions on Google Meets, to giving out “virtual tours” of campuses via PowerPoints, or just doing something as simple as playing games such as bingo and trivia. 

Bratcher went on to further note they have been collaborating with Student Activities on other campuses to share ideas and  plan to have a big virtual meet this coming month. 

Brassart said that they have been using email and TCC’s Instagram to provide information about upcoming events. . 

Student Activities is in the process of learning how to socialize during a pandemic. With many upcoming events planned this upcoming week, they are not letting the virus stop them from connecting students in a time where connection feels so lost. 

Student, Nate Spencer said he has received numerous emails from them about online seminars.

“It’s clear they’re doing their best to stay connected with students while staying remote/online,” he said. “I think they’re doing well!” 

To see what online events your campus student activities have planned for the semester check The Collegian news paper or check the online calander at
calander.tccd.edu.