Keeping mental heath in check during pandemic

Image by Josh Clifford from Pixabay.com

Lauraetha Davis
reporter

Mental illness and stress have become more common among college students now more than ever due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

TCC has moved to online classes because of the coronavirus for the fall semester, and many students are facing new stressful challenges every day trying to keep up with the new social norms.           

“My mental health is not doing well because I’m under stress,‘’ SE student Christina Wells said. Although she has not reached out to a counselor for help, Wells said she’s searched for online ways of releasing stress instead.

“YouTube has been kind of a big help as it takes my stresses off my mind, and going outside to sit and relax in the elements,” Wells said.

To speak to a TCC counselor, students can just go to their Blackboard account and click the online academic advising tab.

SE student Wala Omer, president of the Muslim Student Association, said she has reached out to students like Wells who are having troubles coping with their transition into online courses.

Omer said the MSA sent out a letter to students saying that they are there to help.

“We are reaching out to you to let you know if anyone needs help with anything, we are here,” the letter said. ”If you need a laptop or are having any difficulties with this transition, email me back, and I’ll do my best to accommodate you.”

Mental stress is real, and it is affecting so many people, Omer said. 

SE Counselor Divya Patel, said she hasn’t noticed a larger number of students who’ve sought her help now compared to before the college closed.

“Student traffic during the temporary remote services has been very consistent and comparable to on-campus services,” she said. “It has been busier right now due to the summer and fall 2020 registration as well as students’ stress levels increased due to the sudden change to online courses and other struggles such as financial stresses due to COVID-19.”

Patel said she hasn’t seen that students are struggling more to open up during online counseling sessions.

“Students have been more vocal and open about what’s going on in their struggles and have been able to reach out to the counseling center,” Patel said. “This may be due to being more comfortable in their environment while speaking with a counselor.”

Counselors are providing individualized resources to students and referrals to students who need extra help, Patel said.