Review-Veteran country singer returns with hit new album

Linda Puga

American Idol judge Luke Bryan defies odds with releasing his seventh and most personal album to
date, “Born Here Live Here Die Here.” The 10-track record stays true to Luke Bryan’s roots. Photo by Luke Bryan

Georgia native singer-songwriter Luke Bryan has been known for his country hits that top the charts. This month, Bryan released his seventh studio album “Born Here Live Here Die Here. 

Bryan’s latest project includes 10 tracks, each unique in its way from the storytelling to the concepts. It has simple production with prominent uses of both guitar and drums. However, they carried the songs, as well as Bryan’s vocals, very well.    

The title track tells a story of unity as Bryan shares his roots and stays true to who he is, which is evident in this project. A majority of the songs consist of classic country hits that are the kinds of songs to blast through the speakers at a party. Others, such as the last two tracks, capture the feeling of being in love, as well as a feeling of adventure that concludes the album nicely.  

Because the majority of songs deal with a night out or drinking, the concepts intertwine and become repetitive as the album goes on. However, he did have some standout tracks within that aside from feel-good music. 

The album took a turn with the track “Little Less Broken.” It was one of the only ballads in the project but carried great and heartfelt meaning. The story talks about Bryan’s perspective of Bryan seeing someone that used to mean a lot to him out in a public place. He effortlessly describes the pain of seeing someone being happy without you when you’re not healed yet. The title lent itself to the way the girl’s heart is less broken than his that’s still mending.  

Another ballad piece on the album is titled “Build Me A Daddy.” It talks about an occurrence among many people who grow up without a father figure in their life. 

The song dives into the story of a boy who wants a father “built” to be there for him. A line in the chorus, “If I walked in with him, it’d sure make Momma happy, if you could build me a daddy,” hinted the possible context of the father leaving the family and the boy wishing he could have him back. This longing sentiment is one many people can relate to, making it a beautiful song that stands out and enhances the album through its vulnerability.  

Country music is a key genre that many people admire for the sole aspect of storytelling.  Anyone could enjoy these songs in one way or another either because of the upbeat production or the lyrics that carry a three-minute-long story., What stands out is the way the catchy melodies give off serotonin.  

This is an album full of party songs, late-night-drive songs or something to play to just amplify a room.