Cookout with the Cops Event

October 9, 2019 | Miloš Bukarica | reporter

Students and faculty helped themselves to some lip smackin’ burgers when Tarrant County College Police Officers held their annual Cookout with the Cops October 3.

The event that promoted upcoming talks with students also raised money for the TCC Foundation. Tarrant County College Police Department Capt. Darren Clark discussed future efforts of reaching out to the TCC South students throughToro Talks..

“This is a series of healing conversations, presentations, to bring people together to talk about the issues of the day,” saidClark when discussing Toro Talks. “I’m proud to be a part of the committee that’s putting it together.”

Toro Talks was created by a group of administrators and faculty members on south campus includingClark and Dr. Jeffrey Hurr, a professor of teacher education.

“Our first talk will deal with law enforcement and how to react to them,”  Hurr said.”We are hoping to have a healing conversation and use art to enhance that healing.”

Representatives from the Employees Care Campaign were also present, raising money through raffles for the TCC Foundation.

“We’ve perked up a lot of interest this year because we have the two 65 inch TVs,an iPad and tickets for Billy Bob’s, Casa Mañana and the Texas Motor Speedway,” said Kathy Williams, Employees Care Campaign Co-Chair. “Last year, South campus raised over $38 thousand for student scholarships.”

T Students were eager to get the free food, waiting in line for over 30 minutes to get some quality burgers prepared by the TCCPD officers.

“The food is good,” said Chris Wade, a TCC South Student. “The cops are introducing themselves. They’re talking to you, trying to get to know you, see how you are doing.”

“Reaching out to the community shows that ‘hey, we’re still here for you, we’re still here to protect you,’ said TCC South student Terrance Burch. “It’s kind of like a positive influence.”