Pathways to Future Success

October 9, 2019 | Kelly Qualls | reporter

Transitions to college can be daunting for any students and even more so for those with physical or learning disabilities.

“Most students aren’t prepared to transition,” said Kimele Carter, TR coordinator of student accessibility resources. “Students who are prepared do much better.”

Student accessibility resources and the Cook Children’s Child Study Center hosted an event Oct. 3 on TR Campus. Pathways to Future Success connected parents and students with resources on the transition process.

The drive behind this event is to be a solution to the growing need for empowering students to have a smooth transition into college or the workforce. Carter said it is more than becoming successful students.

“This is about them becoming productive citizens,” she said.

Students were presented with information on personal rights as a college student and the responsibilities of self-advocacy. With the use of personal worksheets, students were encouraged to know who they are, know what they need and know how to get it. These skills allow the student to become their own voice.

Kimberly James-Kelly with the Child Study Center said she sees this event as a stepping stone connecting the high school and college environments. It not only provides a platform for students but also for parents.

“Parents are also transitioning, too, so it’s important to give them those supports as well,” she said.

Attending parents were supportive of this effort to connect community with the resources available.

“You can get blindsided if you don’t go to some of these events to know what to do,” said parent Josh Hornsby.

One parent did not know there were advocacy programs out there to help with the next steps.

“There [are] opportunities out there to help with the transition,” said parent Lance Lehmann. “You don’t have to do it on your own.”