Cultural blend fuels international studies

Argentinian students experience America via TCC through education and travel

By Dang Le/managing editor

Rocio Kuba is in shock when riding a steer when visiting the Fort Worth Herd Cattle Drive during their visit to America Feb. 14. Photos by Johnathan Johnson/The Collegian

As part of the study abroad program, four Argentinian students came to SE Campus from Feb. 3-20 to learn about TCC’s study environment and the lifestyle in Texas. 

“We wish our students to remember the cultural exchange they have experienced here in Texas and to spread the importance of bilingualism, diversity and inclusivity in the 21st century,” Graciela Guglielmone, director of San Patricio Language Institute in Merlo, Argentina, said. 

She hoped the students would understand that there’s no barrier to connect with others around the world. Each person may come with a variety of backgrounds and should embrace the differences in nationality, religion, color, gender or language will enrich students’ lives. 

The students visited historical sites and universities in Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio. With the tension rising regarding U.S. immigration issues, these students also drew contrasts between the lifestyle of the two countries. 

Sofia Kubica said that in her country, foreigners and natural-born citizens are treated equally.

“If one wants to live in Argentina as an immigrant, they don’t need to do a lot of documents,” she said.

However, the students all agreed that they would miss the secure feeling in the U.S. a lot. 

“In our country, we cannot leave our stuff in public,” medical major student Aixa Jaroszek said.

International exchange program participants take pictures for memories in Fort Worth.

“You cannot just hold your phone in the street and take a selfie like here. People will try to rob you.” 

The students get to visit a variety of courses based on their majors outside of the mandatory English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) class. 

Kubica’s favorite class is government. She was interested in learning about Texas history. 

For Jaroszek, she liked the content of the psychology class as she understood more about different disorders.

Federico Orlando is a music major and said he enjoyed his psychology course the most because it was out of his comfort zone. 

“I like the topic, idea and dynamic of the class,” he said. 

“They came with such positive attitudes and were not intimidated to attempt conversations or assignments in English,” 

SE ESOL development instructor Mary Cinatl, who had all four students in her class, said. “They used their English all the time and were not shy to ask questions when they did not understand.”

Although each student has a different English ability, there were few communication breakdowns, SE integrated reading/writing instructor Christina Marrero said. 

Students lived with host families in Arlington. Each of them then stayed with different hosts after the first week when they all lived with the same family.  

“I will remember the most about my relationship with Lea, my hosting sister. In a short time, we have become good friends,” business major student Rocio Kuba said.

Rocio Kuba enjoys her first time visiting the Fort Worth Water Gardens during the students’ field trip around Fort Worth area as part of the cultural immersion Feb. 14. Johnathan Johnson/The Collegian