Policy concerns students

By Jill Bold/editor-in-chief

Students, faculty and community members presented their concerns about undocumented students’ safety on campus at the TCC district board meeting Feb. 20.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement is the agency tasked with deportations of illegal immigrants and this affects undocumented students.

ICE Out of Tarrant representative and student Jessica Ramirez said she’s requesting the adoption of a sanctuary campus resolution, which will allow undocumented students the chance to attend school and obtain their degrees without worry about deportation.

Campus staff should not share student information regarding students’ legal status with any ICE officers that don’t have a warrant, she said.

“TCCD still has not taken any steps or initiatives for adopting a safe campus resolution,” Ramirez said.

TCC can protect these students by not allowing warrantless ICE officers on campus and not sharing personal information about undocumented students. And divulging student’s legal status to authorities who don’t have a warrant is a violation of the FERPA law, which preserves students’ privacy, Ramirez said.

TCC students participated in protests to support Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals in Sept. 2017 on South campus and continued this crusade at a demonstration a year later. DACA’s repeal is supported by President Trump.

DACA allows undocumented students who have lived in the U.S. for most of their lives protection from deportation while attending school.

ICE Out of Tarrant representative Diane Wood said protecting its undocumented students from the growing wave of anti-immigrant sentiment is paramount.

“Won’t the Tarrant County College district uphold their strategic mission to create a more equitable and inclusive environment by adopting a campus resolution would assist its undocumented student population with achieving?” she said.

NE student Brianna Trimmer said the laws and school policies need to align in a way to help undocumented students.

“I believe they can work together to find the best solution that adheres to the laws in place while at the same time providing the best opportunities for these students,” Trimmer said.