Danny Brown back to old self

October 9, 2019 | Gunner Young | campus editor
uknowhatimsaying¿, Danny Brown

Detroit rapper Danny Brown returns with a vengeance in his album, “uknowhatimsayin¿,” not missing a beat since his previous album.

Known for his sexual and drug-induced lyricism and his nasal delivery, Brown takes the gritty instrumentals from his last album “Atrocity Exhibition” and builds on it in a way only he could.

While “Atrocity Exhibition” plays out more like an isolated, drug-fueled bender both in the instrumentals and the lyrics, this new album keeps listeners on their toes as he goes back and forth between dark and dire, and goofy and upbeat.

What sets this album apart is the incredible yet dialed back feature list. Contributors like JPEGMAFIA and Run the Jewels play into Brown’s already established style.

While a few tracks hold back this album from its true potential — specifically, the repetitive title track and the forgettable “Belly of the Beast” — the album’s production and entertaining themes make listening to it all the way through a treat.

The first two tracks, “Change Up” and “Theme Song,” make it seem as if themes from “Atrocity Exhibition” carry over. The song “Dirty Laundry” and its narrative of paying a stripper in change takes the experimental beats common in Brown’s discography and pairs them with dark humor that puts the listener’s mind on spin cycle.

This style comes together in “Best Life,” which paints a portrait of his youth in Detroit and how he works to overcome his past.

Brown has closed the gap between his intriguing instrumentals and his off-the-wall delivery. What his previous album does in experimentation, this album does in entertainment.

The beats are like puzzles for the brain to work on while Brown’s aggressive style slaps listeners in the face. The album’s narrative is enjoyable enough to be fun without sacrificing artistic vision.

This album is digestible but still leaves its audience with something to take home. Going from the bad trip of “Atrocity Exhibition” to this proves that what’s in the dark will always come to light.