Feature: Hispanic Media

Movies with great cultural representation

National Hispanic Heritage Month is a time to highlight the art of Hispanic/Latinx creators. From a story of a boy in Mexico that plays a magic guitar to get into the land of the dead, to an immigrant’s struggle to give his son a better life than he had, their films have a wide variety of stories to tell. Whether it’s modern or old, filmmakers through the ages have told a diverse slew of narratives relating to Hispanic/Latino culture.

A Better Life: This movie tells the story of a father trying to give the best life he can to his son. He tries to steer him in the right direction, away from gang life, hoping his son will be able to experience a life he never could.

El Patrullero 777: Starring Cantinflas, often compared to Charlie Chaplin, this comedy from 1978 tells multiple stories of Diogenes, a policeman that has a unique way of solving issues. That’s putting it lightly. Each new situation offers a new comedic setpiece for Cantinflas to excel in. His physical humor still can’t be beaten.

Coco: A beautifully animated film about a boy named Miguel. He wants to be a musician, something forbidden in the family. Miguel travels to the land of the dead where he meets up with his late family members and explores what he’s truly passionate about.