Northwest Fest marks return of on-campus events

Juan Salinas II
reporter

The sound of 2010s pop music and construction resonated throughout campus during Northwest Fest Sept. 2. 

Northwest Fest was an online-only event last year due to campus closures. But, with vaccinations available to all Americans over the age of 12 and TCC’s decision to return in person for the fall semester, organizers went ahead with the event.

The WTLO building had tables filled with free goodies, clubs clamoring for new members and students communicating face to face. 

“It seemed really interesting,” NW student Amy Sanchez said. “There was a lot of people hanging out here.” 

With no mask mandates in effect on TCC campuses, NW instructional aide Dalton McGill feels that there is a lack of support from the district board.

“I understand that we can’t offer masks,” he said. “They don’t want to be political, but we can’t even buy sanitizer for our own faculty.” 

NW students shared their perspectives on the event. 

Student Daisha Thomas said people are going to do what they want anyway, but the least that can be done is respect everybody’s space. Students Megan Cranford and Brenojon Donegan also said they don’t have much of an issue with having an event like this. 

“I don’t necessarily believe in the whole six feet apart, I mean we’re not right now,” Donegan said. 

Sanchez had a more concerned response.

“Probably not [safe] but hopefully everyone is vaccinated,” Sanchez said “It might be a little dangerous.” 

Vaccinations are up by 18,891 doses compared with the 30-day average a month ago, and about 48.3% of Texans are fully vaccinated, according to The Texas Tribune. 

Student Activities didn’t respond when questioned about the safety of the event.

Some NW students share their ideas on how to make an event like this safer in the future.

Tony Martin suggested using multiple buildings, and Luis Ramirez said providing more hand sanitizer could help.

“I would like to see vaccinated-only events like they have in other states,” graphics specialist Diane Castro said. 

With the transition to online, some clubs had difficulty adapting, but not all of them.   

Technology is so amazing that clubs are prepared to go into an online format if need be, instructional aide Humna Raza said. She said sites like Skribbl.io allow the art club to get a group of people together virtually.

Other clubs have had a more challenging time transitioning online. 

“We are actually trying to rebuild,” said Banny Jaen, NW music association president. ”We only have one, maybe a couple of members.”

Updates on future events can be found on the TCC website.