For some students, online classes is a way to thrive

Photo by fauxels from Pexels.com

MARIAH CAIN
reporter

TCC notified students that the upcoming semester would continue to be online, except certain classes that require hands-on instruction.

SE student Nia Wilson said she prefers in-person classes, but she understands the importance of having another semester online.

“All of my family members are high-risk, so I would rather be safe than sorry, and if that means another semester online, I’m OK with it,” Wilson said.

SE student Macie Rakaba said she also prefers in-person classes because she’s a biology major and learns better hands-on.

“I feel like I haven’t been learning to the best of my abilities compared to my fresh- man year when my classes were in-person,” Rakaba said. “I do hope that we get to resume in-person classes soon so that I can get the full college experience.”

NE government assistant professor Leigh-Anne Regenold said it makes sense for the college to continue teaching remotely next semester.

“I think Spring 2021 should be online since we are seeing such a spike in COVID cases right now, and we don’t yet have a viable plan for social distancing on campus and in our classrooms,” Regenold said.

When asked if she preferred online or in-person classes, Regenold said she likes them both.

“I taught online before COVID, so transitioning wasn’t that hard for me,” she said. “I do miss interacting with my students in person, though.”

Regenold also said she was impressed with how her students have adapted to online learning.

“Professors have made some accommodations to help our native on-campus students move to remote learning, but our students are really working hard to be successful,” she said.

“They have been resilient and adaptable. I know they will be successful, no matter which delivery method is being utilized.”