Pandemic safety causes holiday madness

DEIRDRE BENAVIDES
reporter

Photo courtesy of Rexandpan/Adobe StockRising concerns about the spread of COVID-19 has caused a shift in holiday planning meanung many have resorted to staying at home instead of travling this December.

As the holiday season approaches, TCC students are navigating their plans amid COVID-19.

“It is terrifying to think that even if I’m asymptomatic, I could get someone else sick,” said TR student Brittany Marsden. “My fiancé will be joining me in whatever we do, and he has asthma so that’s another huge concern of mine.”

Marsden said her grandmother usually hosts the holidays, but because of her age, she’s considered high-risk despite being in good health.

“We don’t want to take the risk of getting her sick, and she is understandably weary

about being around the family,” Marsden said. “It’s unfortunately too much of a risk for a day of tradition.”

For others, celebrating will also be lim- ited to only the household.

“Each individual family has decided to celebrate only as immediate families, no mix- ing, so, just husband, wife and children, for example,” said NE student Brian Wallis.

Wallis said the holidays this year aren’t too different from usual.

“It is strange, but honestly, now that my oldest daughter is married and every one of my brothers have moved away, it’s not much different because family gatherings were get- ting smaller and less frequent anyway,” he said.

For some, the who hasn’t changed, but the where has.

“Thankfully, the holidays will be the same for me in terms of who I’m celebrat- ing with,” said SE student Jessica Rogers. “I would say the only thing that’s changed for me would be no longer going out to public places in order to celebrate. Everything will be celebrated in the house this year.”

Rogers said she does not participate in any ceremonious events, but her parents do.

“This year, they will not be participating,” she said.

Shifts in holiday ceremonies are also happening for other students and their family members.

“We are staying away from public events but have been watching church services virtu- ally,” Wallis said. “With six children, one of which is asthmatic, we avoid public places.”

Madsen said her family has a tradition of attending ICE! at Gaylord Texan but won’t be this year even if Gaylord Texan doesn’t cancel it. She says her family will instead stay at home to make cocoa and cookies, watch Christmas movies and wrap presents to drop off at people’s houses.

“We will make something fun out of what we have available without having to put anyone at risk,” Marsden said. “I miss my grandma, though, so much.”

Rogers described the holiday season as her favorite.

“It’s kind of corny, but my soul always feels happier because everyone is nicer and in better moods as well as more giving,” she said. “Even strangers come together and fami- lies from all over get to see each other so my heart’s a little sad that a lot of people won’t get to experience that this year. I’ll definitely hold my loved ones a bit closer this holiday season because a lot of ’t make it to the end of the year.”