High-end fashion meets ultraviolence in sequel

November 13, 2019 | Gunner Young | campus editor
Hitler Wears Hermes 7, Westside Gunn
Hitler Wears Hermes 7, Westside Gunn

Buffalo, New York rapper Westside Gunn comes off the top rope in his new album “Hitler Wears Hermes 7,” blending themes of wrestling and fashion along with his darker themes of violence, poverty and guns.

It is fitting that he is from Buffalo since his sound reminds one of a classic New York style of rap, but his gloomy and moody style sets Westside Gunn apart from those whose rhymes defined New York City.

He also collaborates with his rap group “Griselda,” which includes fellow New York rappers Benny the Butcher and his brother Conway the Machine.

The group has found recent success being signed to Eminem’s record label “Shady Records.”

After the introduction track, his captivating delivery and lyricism set the tone for the rest of the album on “Broadway Joes.” Gunn’s wailing chorus and boom-bap verses shine in front of a Nas-like piano-infused beat.

The album continues to pull heavily from its New York roots, with many soul samples and straight forward drums. Features such as Curren$y and Fat Joe complete the album’s credibility with some solid feature verses on “Kelly’s Corner” and “Lucha Bros.”

When compared to most of the more popular hip-hop this decade, “Hitler Wears Hermes 7” is a refreshing back-to-the-basics, grimy and gruesome record that proves that some styles never die.

While this album borrows from the past greats, Gunn also experiments with different elements to keep his sound fresh.

The lack of any clear rhythm section in “Banana Yacht” featuring Estee Nick, and its use of what sounds like a film score played alongside a simple bassline is one the coolest aesthetic instrumentation moments on the album.

While the overall vibe of the album musically is a lot to love, the lyricism displayed by Gunn is flat-out impressive as well.

Many verses contain multiple rhymes per line like the line from “GONDEK:” Kick your door in with my Loubs on, I’m highly measured/Neck lookin’ precious, we carry deserts, I’m very fresh, yeah.”

The features pull their weight lyrically as well, with Conway the Machine name-dropping popular NBA star Kristaps Porzingis and his recent move to Dallas on the song “Kool G.”

Bleak, creative and violence-packed passages make “Hitler Wears Hermes 7” an album that is a must listen for not only Wu-Tang Clan and Nas fans, but also any fans of New York hip-hop period.

With this record, Westside Gunn puts Buffalo on the map and leads the pack for the tremendous amount of talent coming out of that city.