Learn How to Learn

November 3, 2019 | Kelly Qualls | reporter

Improving and maintaining great grades can be daunting until hidden secrets to learning are discovered, a SE teacher said at a workshop Oct. 24.

The “Learn How to Learn” lecture on SE Campus gave students techniques to enhance their learning capabilities and raise their GPAs.

“Teach students how to learn, not just cram, but to actually give them a strategy to retain information over time so they’re actually learning,” said SE assistant professor of computer science Gracie Williams.

Williams illustrated to students through bullet points how to take main concepts, define them explain what they do and give examples and applications on their uses.

SE student Heather Morales said she appreciated the lecture.

“It gave me key points on how to complete my semester,” she said.

Williams stressed the importance of knowing how to read with focus.

“Read one paragraph at a time, digest that, make notes on it, and then go on to the next one,” she said. This is what she calls chunking.

Students who study for a class with the intention that he or she will be asked to teach it will learn and retain the information.

Williams suggested students take a break after an hour of studying to let their brain process the information, then go back and review. Repetitive study using this technique is key to learning well, she said.

“The presentation was pretty useful [and] informational that I’m pretty sure I can probably apply to my future classes,” said SE student Savannah Balderaz.