Mental Health First Aid COV

November 3, 2019 | Rene Herrera | reporter

Mental Health First Aid held its mental health credentialing class Oct. 18 at NW with attendees eager to learn about mental health concepts.

Mental Health First Aid, an annual event held at TCC, certifies its attendees in the  understanding of mental health and how they  can  help a friend or relative who is going through a mental health crisis.

Brentom Jackson, a NW counselor who  taught the first half of the eight hour class, said that the reason for this class is for the same reason that people are taught CPR.

“A lot of people are taught CPR, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, Jackson said. “MHFA is the same concept. Ten to one is the likelihood someone would need CPR, four to one is the likelihood someone is having a mental health issue.”

This can be extreme stress, depression and or thoughts of suicide, Jackson said.

Students need assurance that someone can talk to them and give them advice if they are having such an issue and MHFA gives students and adults the tools to do so.

A good number of TCC faculty were eager to be a potential helping hand for students.

“I tried taking this class a few years ago but missed it, I wanted to take it help students,” Aimee Stubs, a librarian at NW, said ,

NW librarian Pamela Andrews, said that working in the library she helped students with academics.

“But with this certification I can help students with things other than that.”