Normalcy remains distant for students

TCC reopening after closing for COVID-19

Janine Shuman

The vacant TCC hallways will soon be injected with life as the once-empty air is filled with the voices of returning students.

But normalcy remains distant as COVID-19 continues to plague the nation.

TR student Gregory Taylor is excited to come back. Now that he’s fully vaccinated, he feels safe about returning, but worries about those who haven’t received the vaccination. He expects campuses to enforce masks and social distancing until the vaccine begins to push herd immunity. It’s a little annoying, but necessary to protect those at risk, he said.

“I think it’s safe as long as precautions are taken,” NE student Maram Hammoudeh said. “I think people should sit far from each other in class and masks should still be mandated. We need to make sure we prevent any further spread of the virus.”

The south campus sits empty
Photo by Baldwin.

Hammoudeh has never taken an in-person class, and fears adaptation may be challenging. “I think being online just got me used to working from home and waking up whenever I want,” she said. “Now I’m going to have a fixed schedule which makes me nervous since I will have to adjust to the change, but other than that I am excited to go back to school normally.”

Taylor looks forward to the return and isn’t greatly concerned with the ease of transition.

“My main issue will be planning for travel, and remembering roads and room numbers,” he said. “I will miss the freedom of being able to attend class from anywhere, and not have to drive to a campus.”

While the return excites many students ready to get back to a normal college experience, some are disappointed they missed a year of on-campus learning.

SE student Xorah Cole graduates this semester, with her final year of school conducted online.

Despite the transition, Cole took on many roles including campus ambassador, peer leader and also joined several clubs.

“I am definitely disappointed that I didn’t get to finish my last year on campus — especially because this was the year I really got involved,” she said. “I miss the buzz of being on campus during events like the Club Expo and transfer fairs. I also really miss working on assignments from the library.”

Cole remains optimistic about her experience, having gained several skills she would not have received with a conventional college experience.

“I’ve had my own college experience and while it was different from the college experience, the one I thought I would have, the one from movies and TV,” she said. “I don’t think I missed it. I’ve been able to learn so much and I’ve met some amazing people including my best friend during this year online.”

Cole worries about the unpredictability of the virus which makes the return to normalcy subject to change.

“I have hope that between the hard work of the TCC staff, faculty, and leadership and the vaccine we will be ready to go back to the classroom by the fall,” Cole said. “I do worry about what will happen if we aren’t ready to go back — will we be able to successfully manage another year of virtual learning?”