Pathway to CPA

November 3, 2019 | Tresor Ngoyi | reporter

TCC Northwest Career Services sponsored an information session for students Oct. 23 to inform them about careers in accounting.

The Texas Certified Public Accountant Association (TxCPA) in cooperation with department of accounting and office administration of TCCD explained how students could qualify for a Certified Public Account license.

“CPAs are the most-trusted advisors to business owners,” speaker Rachel Baker, a local tax accountant in Fort Worth and BDO accountant said. “The CPA credential is second only to a medical doctor in professional esteem. They are also known for high level of integrity and competency

Baker’s employer, BDO, is an international network of public accounting, tax, consulting and business advisory firms which perform professional services and employs over 80 thousand, people.

Career Services student development specialist Cassie Fennel said.that a CPA license can open a lot of doors including work in a public or private company, government or, education

“The CPA job is more flexible, secure, and a good financial opportunity,” Fennel said. “A CPA focuses more on government tax and protects the company against any fraud.”

The CPA job pays well, although it depends on the position.

There are six categories:

An internal auditor makes between $ 58, 250 to $ 95, 000.

A senior tax accountant makes $ 60,500 to $ 113, 000.

A forensic accountant makes $ 76, 000 to $ 144.750.

A financial analyst manager makes $84, 750 to $ 161,500 per year.

A controller makes $ 106 to 201,500 per year,

A chief financial officer or CEO makes between $ 168,750 to $ 500, 000 per year.

Students are encouraged to visit the American Institute of CPAs website for community college students:  WWW.StartHereGoPlaces.com.-*-*/+