SE students learn to handle stress

SE students trying to deal with stresses in their lives can attend the Stress Management seminar 9:35-10:30 a.m. Feb. 23 in the North Ballroom.

Former TCC counselor Joyce Fisher will share her experiences and offer advice to overloaded students.

“This speech is going to affect a majority of students because most of them have a full-time job or have a family to take care of,” said Michael Eason, SE counselor.

Stress is a common problem, but many people deal with it alone without having a consultation with a counselor, family members or friends, Eason said.

That isolation could lead to another problem when students don’t express their feelings or make decisions.

“I have dealt with students who were enrolled as full-time students and at the same time doing a full-time job,” he said. “After three weeks or so, they come to us to drop classes because some students cannot handle the stress.”

Eason said it is important to talk about health issues at an early age, so people can have the knowledge to handle any situation.

“Stress problems are dealt with on campus,” he said.

Because many students often do not express their anxieties and stress, Eason said this presentation could help them learn more in-depth about stress and other related health issues.

— Aisha Banafe