Series review: Marvel’s ‘What If…?’ tackles alternate futures

Michael Foster-Sanders
senior producer

Multiverses allow different paths and outcomes to historical events that are canon in a fictional world such as the Marvel Cinematic Universe. What if the villain Erik Killmonger was seen as a hero instead of a villain? What if Dr. Strange’s crash affected him emotionally instead of physically? These hypothetical questions are answered in Marvel’s “What If…?” animated series for the Disney Plus streaming service.

Marvel Comics started the “What if” concept in 1977, and had 13 volumes and numerous stand-alone books.

To bring that idea to the small screen in an anthology format is genius because it brings the viewer into the world with the cast from the movies, keeping its authenticity.

Bringing back some of the actors who played these characters in the movies will make those familiar with the characters light up inside like a parade of light stour, delivering the fan service Marvel is known for.

The art style used for the series is inspired by the late magazine illustrator J.C Leyendecker who styled publication covers from 1896-1950, giving the show a dreamy feel when it covers events before the catalyst that alters the future. Even when the change happens, the style works because of the haze-like feeling of being blindsided by a powerful force and causing a concussion.

Captain Carter in Marvel Studios’ WHAT IF…? exclusively on Disney+. ©Marvel Studios 2021. All Rights Reserved.

Each story in the “What If” series is awesome and diverse but there are four stories that will command the viewer’s attention. “What if T’Challa Became a Star-Lord?” shows a child that is the Prince of Wakanda, whose inquisitive and adventurous nature gets him kidnapped by extraterrestrials. Instead of becoming the hero Black Panther, he becomes a space pirate. Fans of Chadwick Boseman may tear up, since this is one of his final roles before he died.

“Zombie” has a horror tale taste to it. Having some of Earth’s mightiest heroes, The Avengers, spread a virus causing a zombie apocalypse across the globe is a twist that is refreshing because it’s going to take the teamwork of every last superhero remaining to stop the team from destroying any and everything left on planet earth.

The villain Killmonger becomes a hero with his episode by saving Tony Stark. Does this cause Killmonger to change his philosophy on freeing the oppressed around the globe through violence and uprisings, or gives him more tools to achieve his quest now being aligned with stark?

Dr. Strange not being able to accept the love of his life dying will tug at the heart strings of viewers. This episode shows The Sorcerer Supreme breaking every mystical law to bring the love of his life back.

Now for the bad stuff. After being hooked like a fish, the audience has to wait for season 2 to this amazing show. Grab yourself a Disney Plus subscription or borrow a friend’s and strap in for these amazing tales.