Stereotypes disrupt societal harmony

November 20, 2019 | Editorial

In today’s society, everybody wants to voice their opinions based on their experience as a part of any minority group.

However, minorities tend to pick on other minorities so that they can be the majority.

The desire to be the majority has slowly controlled humans to sort everything in labels. They judge one another to place themselves at a superior level. It may be that they feel more empowered, or humans are just programmed to put others down to make them feel better.

With more and more allegations against men being made, women have become more cautious about their surroundings. However, this creates tensions between two genders, as one would try to pick on the other’s personalities and traits.

As people try to preach peace, they tend to overlook race problems that are occurring daily.

White people are generally seen as privileged, and black people are generally accused of being uneducated or unsuccessful. But until one has known the entire story, they should avoid making those assumptions.

Illegal crossings and terrorists are considered the most discussed topics in politics nowadays, which bring some people to speculate all Mexicans and Muslims are under the same roof when that has been proven incorrect.

But the naturally competitive side of humans would deny those claims. When comparing themselves to others, they choose to point out their good aspects and their opponents’ bad features.

Whether one is an introvert or extrovert, humans want to be the center of attention. They want to be unique. But that alone is not enough. Humans have taken pride in so many aspects of life, such as accomplishments or previous experiences.

It is hard to accept defeat, so one will try to win at all costs even if that means they look down on others’ skin color, gender, sexual orientation, the way they dress and the way they carry themselves.

It is not entirely anyone’s fault, because everybody wants to be the best version of themselves. However, in doing so, they may have hurt other people along the way.

When treating others a certain way, one may forget they would not want to be treated the same, and they need to start remembering that fact. Despite what they have gone through, other people may have experienced worse.

But, in the end, not all people want to share their stories, and they have every right to do so. Before making any judgments, listen to others’ stories. It is never too late to make comments, but it will always be too early to draw into conclusions.

Humans all over the world want peace, but with the way the world is functioning, humans will be their own enemies and bring themselves down with their negativity.

For so long, people reached for unity and claim that they are making the world a better place. They give each other handshakes and hugs to show their attempt to be allies. But, by discriminating and hating other people, they have unintentionally created cracks and holes in between that they do not realize.

Hatred is hatred, whether talking about homophobia, sexism or racism.

The world will not change from big policies but from each person’s perception of making this life better every day. Stop worrying about the world through a big picture. Continually asking for equality, yet holding a grudge against other people for something they cannot change is apparent hypocrisy.