TCC postpones May graduation

April 1, 2020 | Jill Bold | editor-in-chief
Collegian file photo
Students who planned to walk the stage this May will have to wait until further notice from TCC due
to concerns over the spread of COVID-19. The college will send the diplomas to graduates by mail.

TCC announced via social media and email on Friday that the May commencement ceremony will be postponed until further notice.

The spread of COVID-19 has caused all events on the college’s calendar for the next several months to be shut down.

The college will still issue degrees and certificates that students have earned and plans to send the diplomas to eligible graduates by mail.

“We understand this is an unprecedented situation and regret having to make this decision,” an email sent from the college March 27 said. “However, the health and safety of the TCC students and TCC family are a top priority.”

The TCC commencement planning committee said they are looking into other ways they can honor 2019-2020 graduates.

David Ximenez, associate vice chancellor of enrollment and academic support services, did not return emails seeking comment.

TCC’s Facebook announcement elicited a variety of responses from commenters. One user posted a question about being able to pick up their cap and gown.

“All offices and campuses are closed to the public, so cap and gown pickup is not available at this time,” the college replied in a Facebook response.

NE student Amanda Hall will earn her Associate of Arts degree and said she has a mixed reaction about the fact that the ceremony will not be celebrated in May with her friends and family.

“I am disappointed, but not entirely surprised,” Hall said. “I’ve heard about a lot of folks having their graduations outright canceled, so a postponement gives me a silver lining to look forward to that it may happen.”

Amanda Hall’s mother, Diana Hall, said she was looking forward to watching her daughter walk across the graduation stage.

“I’m sorry for everyone who’s worked so hard for this, but I certainly understand the reasons behind this decision,” she said.

TR, Connect and South student Vanessa Galindo said she was disappointed and a little angry not only because COVID-19 puts her graduation ceremony plans were now on hold but what the virus has done to the community.

“There will be better times soon to celebrate hopefully.” she said. “I am usually not one who needs cheers and accolades but after three years of school, being a single mom and working full-time, I was looking forward to the big day. ”