TCC puts spotlight on clubs for community event

XAVIER BOATNER
xavier.boatner@my.tccd.edu

NE Campus hosted a special event for students to show off their clubs complete with free food and merchandise.

NE student activities development associate Michelle Taylor helped spearhead Club Rush on Jan. 26 to open students’ eyes to a world of opportunities involving information about student-led organizations and clubs.

“My favorite thing about Club Rush is seeing students connect with other like-minded students,” said Taylor. “I think it’s a great way to network and build new relationships. Club Rush is a fun place to meet other students and join a club you never thought you’d be interested in.”

Taylor said the event was one that students looked forward to for the exciting and communal aspects it provided.

“It’s [Club Rush] one of the events the students get the most excited about because they want to be able to interact with other students,” she said. “It’s also just a lot of fun. It feels like a party.”

NE student and club representative Alexander Tidwell said Club Rush is a great way to find your place and thinks there’s something special for everyone at TCC. 

“There are a lot of options to be found at TCC,” Tidwell said. “If you like something, then there’s a club for it. There’s a club somewhere out there for you to enjoy, and be a part of a community and just exist within TCC and your own unique place.”

“I think it’s good to see and meet new people on campus,” NE student and club representative Colton Truitt said. He said Club Rush was a good way to help emphasize the “community” in community college. 

“A lot of people aren’t here to socialize,” Truitt said. “Most people are just here to go to class and go home. For a place called community college, there’s not a whole lot of community happening.” 

Truitt said the event was a great way to help others see what kind of people attend TCC and find out which ones they may connect with. He hoped the event helped people realize that there’s so much more going on around campus than meets the eye.

“The event is a good way to help people come together and see what we have available here on campus,” he said. “I feel like there are a lot of great organizations that people don’t know about, so it’s a good way to see what’s available.”

Taylor said she hoped the event encouraged more students to get involved while they’re still in college since the knowledge learned can be useful to them later in life. Joining clubs could help students develop skills that translate to the real world.

She said one of the best qualities of Club Rush is that it can help students grow into themselves. 

“In college, you’re free to be who you are,” Taylor said. “You don’t have to fit into any mold and it’s really cool to see students who are also just like them. It’s nice knowing they’re accepted and loved for who they are.”