Time skills tips given by speaker

By Berenice Alcala/reporter

Good time management skills are important in all aspects of daily life, a speaker told TR students Feb. 16.

“Once you take control of your time, you take control of your life,” said Stacy Lueking, TR health and physical education instructor.

Time management is a big component of stress, which is caused by feeling overwhelmed and can later cause more serious problems including headaches and back and chest pain, Lueking said.

Relying on caffeine or caffeinated drinks for energy is not a good idea since caffeine can increase heart rate, she said. It’s better to obtain energy naturally by eating a good breakfast, having good nutrition and exercising.

Students can experience different stressors, such as procrastination, Lueking said.

“Procrastination can lead to higher stress, affect your sleep and how you perform in school,” she said.

Lueking recommended making a schedule to give enough time to different tasks, setting short- and long-term goals and prioritizing the “to do list.” Then, students can reward themselves after every accomplishment.

Students should learn how to minimize interruptions, Lueking said. One technique is going to places with minimal interruptions and eliminating time-killers such as watching TV or daydreaming.

Being able to say “no,” delegating and prioritizing also will help students stay on track, she said.

It is important to keep a planner that can include all life aspects and go through it on a regular basis to check for upcoming events or due dates, Lueking said.

“Some students, especially first-year college students need more time and guidance,” she said.

Lueking ended the workshop by giving all attendees a time management quiz to grade how well time is being used. Questions related to how much time students spend on different activities and on planning their schedules.

TR student Ladrieka White said she learned from the presentation.

“School is stressful. I’m diabetic and about to get married,” she said. “I’m always stressed out these days. I’m going to buy a planner and use it from now on.”

The workshop was part of the Lunchroom Workshop Series held on TR Campus.