Upcoming play focuses on bond between sisters

October 30, 2019 | Krissia Palomo | campus editor
Photo by Paridhi Gurung/The Collegian. Sarah Hart (left) and Genevieve Farnham (right) practice their lines while preparing for the production of “Sense and Sensibilty” which premiers Nov. 13 on NE Campus.

The NE theater program will put on “Sense and Sensibility,” a play adapted by Kate Hamill based on Jane Austen’s novel.

“I wanted to tell some stories about women lifting themselves up and becoming stronger,” NE associate professor Jacob Cabe said.

The play challenges most of the actors to play more than one role.

“One of the biggest challenges for them is shifting immediately from one character to another,” Cabe said.

NE student Jazmine Diaz plays the role of Marianne Dashwood, who she said is known as the sensibility of the story because of her emotional demeanor.

“This is my first lead role,” Diaz said. “Marianne is such an emotionally draining character because she is so passionate about everything.”

NE student Sarah Hart plays Elinor Dashwood, the more reserved sister of the two.

Hart said that even though Elinor is the more collected of the sisters, she recognizes that she has a big responsibility to take care of her other sister, and she wants to do the character justice on stage.

“It involves so many small, intricate parts, and I’m just so excited for people to see it put together,” she said.