Variety of stories to be told in new production

October 30, 2019 | Dang Le | campus editor
Photo by Brooke Baldwin/The Collegian. Joe Crestsinger (left), Lilian Sepulveda (middle) and Randi Ragan (right) rehearse for the “365 Days/365 Plays,” which debuts Nov. 1 on South Campus.

The South Campus theater program will perform selections from Suzan-Lori Parks’ “365 Days/365 Plays” Nov. 1-2.

The plays concept is to combine multiple short excerpts written each day, and 13 excerpts will be chosen out of 365 written by Parks.

“I want each of them to be wonderfully independent,” said director Richie Haratine regarding the process of cohesively choosing the pieces. “I want the audience to get excited because each one [excerpt] carries its own bit of energy and conflict.”

South student Joe Crestsinger commented on how to get into his character.

“I tried to think of the acting in movies that I’ve watched, then I kind of visualize it,” Crestsinger said.

South student Lillian Sepulveda found common ground with one of her characters.

“I relate to Tosha a lot because she is sassy and a huge feminist and that is how I see myself too,” she said.

South student Randi Ragan said she is very excited about one of her upcoming roles.

“I will play the disgruntled friend for ‘The Great Depression’ and ‘Look’ selections, where I get to express myself through this character,” she said.

Haratine commented on how he wishes the audience perceives the play.

“I want the audience to experience all the actors at the beginning and the end,” he said. “I would like them [the audience] to walk away with experiencing dynamic, diverse expressions of emotions, ideas and feelings from many perspectives.”