Vaccine, healthy habits help prevent flu

By Rhiannon Saegert/managing editor

As if midterm stress wasn’t enough, students also need to brave themselves for flu season.

Because of the many different strains of influenza, a flu shot holds no guarantee against getting sick, but Doris Donner, an on-call nurse for NE Campus, said it’s still a precaution worth taking.

“Really, everyone needs to get a flu shot,” Donner said. “We haven’t seen anybody with flu-like symptoms yet, but I suspect it’s only a matter of time.”

In the past, health services provided free or low-cost flu shots to students. However, this year the vaccine was in short supply.

“We didn’t have flu shots for the health fair, which is always a big thing,” Donner said.

EMC Express Care charges $10 for flu shots, and some Costco locations offer flu shots for $14.99. Some Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart locations offer the shots for $20 and $23.99, respectively.

“If you get the flu, it can really set you back,” Donner said. “People who have underlying health issues definitely need a flu shot.”

Donner said students can stay healthy by washing their hands, getting enough rest, eating properly and staying well-hydrated.

She said anyone who comes down with the flu should stay home and rest, rather than risk infecting others or exacerbating their illness, no matter what.