Women’s History Month

Now-March 3 In honor of the 33rd anniversary of the Women in New Roles program, an art show is on view in the Joe B. Rushing Center for the Performing Arts Carrilon Gallery on South Campus. The exhibit includes works by current and former WINR students. Gallery hours are 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

Feb. 24-26 The South Campus drama department presents Crumbs from the Table of Joy. The story revolves around a family’s dealings with religion, relationships and communism. Performances begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Carrilon Theatre of the Joe B. Rushing Center for the Performing Arts. Admission for all TCC students is free, $3 for all non-TCC students and seniors and $6 for the general public. Reservations are not required, but no one will be admitted late.

March 1-31 A Women’s History Month exhibit, Women and Intercultural Communication, will be on display in the Jenkins Garrett Library on South Campus.

March 1 South Campus education department chair Altheria Gaston will present A Look at the Life of Dorothy Height 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. in the SSTU Texas Room on South Campus. Height was a longtime president of the National Council of Negro Women and worked to reduce cultural gaps and to gain equal rights.

March 3 The movie Salt of the Earth will be shown 2-4 p.m. in the SSTU Fort Worth Room on South Campus as part of the Women’s History Month Film Festival. The controversial 1954 film revolves around mistreated miners going on strike and their wives who supported them.

March 3 Spring into Fashion will be presented during the Women’s History Month Luncheon on South Campus. Carolyn Raab, owner of The Bridge Boutique of Fort Worth, will be guest speaker. The event will take place 12:30-1:50 p.m. in the SSTU Living Room. Tickets are $5 for students and $7.50 for non-students. Attendees must call 817-515-4740 by March 2 to make reservations. No ticket sales at the door.

March 4 A History of Women’s Achievements in America will take place 1-5 p.m. in the SSTU Texas Room on South Campus. A series of eight DVDs spotlighting the accomplishments of women during the time periods of 1621-2006 will be shown over the four hours

March 9 The South dance department will sponsor Voices from the Vault, a dance recital featuring resident dance companies Velocity I and Velocity II. The event will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the SSTU Student Center.

March 10 A faculty voice recital will take place at 7:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall on South Campus. Adjunct voice instructor Jiyoun Kim will perform.

March 10 The animated film Sita Sings the Blues will be shown 2-4 p.m. in the SSTU Fort Worth Room on South Campus. The film takes the events of the traditional Hindu tale Rama’s Journey, chronicles them through the eyes of the character Sita and depicts her desire for equal treatment from the men in her life.

March 23 Capt. Julia Dunaway, chief social worker for the Federal Women’s Prison of Fort Worth, will be guest speaker at the Young Women’s Leadership Track: Taking the Right Road event 6-7 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room on South Campus.

March 24 The Women’s Health Seminar will be noon-2 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room on South Campus. The guest speaker will be Julia M. Woodard, who works as a senior occupational therapist.

March 31 History/government instructor Carlos Rovelo will present Make Up for Success at 11 a.m. in the SSTU Living Room on South Campus.

April 2 The 10th Annual Women’s Symposium: Sisters Bridging Cultures: One Voice, One Heart, Many Hands provides an educational and interdisciplinary event featuring networking opportunities, speakers and more than 35 vendor displays. The event will take place 8:15 a.m.-12:25 p.m. in the SSTU Cafeteria and Living Room on South Campus.