Pandemic changes education

File photo/The Collegian Students adjust to a new college environment throughout the TCC District with online learning for the fall semester
File photo/The Students adjust to a new college environment throughout the TCC District with online learning for the fall semester

Malik Giles
managing editor

one was prepared for COVID-19. It hit everyone, especially students and faculty who had to continue the rest of the spring semester, going forward with everything virtually. 

Campuses remain closed for the fall. Both students and faculty try to get used to this new way of life.

“The first part of my summer classes sucked,” said NE student Khatry Otto, who is a computer science major. “I had to drop my math class because I had a terrible professor.” 

Otto said his professor would give his class PowerPoints but didn’t help work through the problems with the class. 

“I felt like with math you have to be in person with a real interaction in order to get it because it’s one of those harder subjects,” he said.

Before Otto registered for Summer II classes, he went to RateMyProfessor.com to get help choosing a good teacher. 

“This really helped me because the professor actually helped us through the exercises,” Otto said. 

Unlike his Summer I class, Otto is looking forward to his fall classes.

Some instructors said they feel good about teaching online classes this semester.

NE radio/TV/film adjunct instructor Charles Johnson, who would normally teach two sections in a classroom, said he is ready to teach the classes from his house. 

“During spring break, they told us that we were going completely online,” Johnson said. “I worked like a crazy man trying to move all my stuff over to more of an online presentation.”

Johnson said he feels like technology will be a great way to teach students more discipline.  

“I embrace technology, and I think if technology was used the right way it can be a great way to be more effective in training,” he said.

It is not forgotten among both students and faculty that all of this is being done for safety. 

“I’m glad we’re not going to school,” TR student and business major Justyn Adams said. ”We all need to be safe and not spread the virus.”