Art works reflect life ’s experiences

By Elizabeth Weeks/nw news editor

My Life Experiences, a collection of drawings by Harry Gross, ends its run on NW Campus Saturday, Feb. 25.
   “ This series is about childhood and enjoying it while it lasts,” he said to a group at the opening day of his art exhibit on NW Campus.
   The pastel pencil drawings showcase Gross’ childhood memories.
   Ranging in images of the local fair to the bullies down the street to the neighborhood football games, these drawings display the memories of a black child, growing up in the 1960s.
   Most of the drawings are based in Fort Worth, but some are from Gross’ experience in Galveston, where he spent many summers.
   Gross said each image in the series portrays a snapshot in rich color.
   “ Most of the paintings are of memories, but a few are dreams,” he said.
   Gross began work on this series of images in 2000 and has many others in this collection not on display in this show.
   Gross said while these drawings are images of any small town childhood, he is proud to say they are the memories he experienced on his own.
   A Fort Worth native, Gross had no professional art training. His only art courses were taken at Dunbar and O.D. Wyatt high schools.
   “ I had a few art classes in high school,” he said. “It was always my second to last class of the day. Mr. Carroll was my favorite teacher.”
   Gross has been drawing since he was 7 and said he enjoys using a variety of techniques and mediums.    This collection, My Life Experiences, is done in pen and pastel pencils.
   Gross fondly recounted winning an award in grade school for his drawings.
   Gross said he enjoys using a variety of methods and mediums. He chose pastel pencils and pen for the pieces in this exhibit because of the unique bold colors they offer. He said these pieces were done with a series of dots and shading.
   Gross often sells his pieces and has reproduced some of his own works in oil paint and different pens.
   The artist has been hired to create custom painting for car dealerships and local businesses.
   Gross also has many of his pieces displayed in local and surrounding galleries.
   All pieces displayed in the Lakeview Gallery on the NW Campus are for sale.
   The larger pieces are priced at $100, and the smaller pieces are $75.
   The Lakeview Gallery in the Fine Arts Building is open 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Admission is free.
   The NW Campus fine arts and languages department sponsor the exhibit.