As Bees in Honey Drown pokes fun at money grabbers

By Randalynne Dorsey/entertainment editor

The NE Playhouse opens its spring season with the comedy As Bees in Honey Drown, written by Douglas Carter Beane and directed by Jakie Cabe, presented Wednesday-Saturday, March 1-4.
   Beane, who wrote To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar, presents this play in a humorous light, poking fun at those who will do anything in order to gain fame and fortune.
   “ Directors tend to look at a play and come up with a concept so actors know what the vision is. For this play, that concept is ‘Nothing is as it seems,’” Cabe, who in the past has directed the NE productions The Laramie Project, Moon Over Buffalo and Medea, said.
   Lolly Hardee plays Alexa Vere de Vere, a record business executive who will do just about anything for fame and fortune.
   “ In pop culture, everyone’s trying to sell something, so it’s easy to be deceived,” Cabe said.
   The mysterious Alexa attracts the attention of newly famous Evan Wyler, played by Nick Zunis, who has recently published a novel. Once he’s conned by Alexa, he vows to get revenge.
   “ Alexa is like Audrey Hepburn, Tallulah Bankhead and Auntie Mame all rolled into one,” Cabe said.
   “ She’s colorful and destructive,” Hardee said of her character. “There’s a line in the play where it says that Alexa is every woman in every movie you’ve ever loved. I think that sums it up best.”
   Other cast members include John Davenport, Nicole Cioffi, Emily Hardy and David Ristuccia. The four create an ensemble of characters, playing about 20 characters between them.
   The play provides a “human connection. It’s relevant with identity theft and e-mail scams of today. This time, someone’s decided to take revenge against Alexa. That’s Evan,” Cabe said.
   “ Everyone can be vulnerable when you really want something,” Hardee said.
   After realizing that Alexa has conned him, Evan sets out to find her and finds other people that Alexa’s conned as well.
   The show runs Wednesday, March 1 through Saturday, March 4. All shows begin at 8 p.m. in the NE Playhouse, NFAB 1205, with a 2 p.m. matinee March 4.
   Tickets are $5 for the general public, and $3 for senior citizens and students 18 and under. Admission is free to all TCC faculty, staff and students.
   For reservations, contact the NE Playhouse at 817-515-6687.