Entertainment Calendar

Theature

Oct. 5-8 NE drama program will present a modern interpretation of Molière’s The Miser with guest director John Dennis. Originally set in France during the 17th century, the comedy now takes place in New Orleans during the 1920s and ’30s. It revolves around a penny-pinching moneylender and his children who long to run off with their lovers. Admission is free for TCC students, faculty and staff, $4 for other students and seniors and $6 for the general public. Tickets are available at 817-515-6687. Shows are 7 p.m with a 2 p.m. Saturday matinee.

Oct. 6-8 South Campus kicks off its entertainment season with The Exonerated directed by Lindy Benton-Muller. Culled from interviews, letters, transcripts, case files and public records, it tells the stories of six wrongly convicted survivors of death row in their own words. Admission is free for TCC students, faculty and staff, $3 for other students and senior citizens and $6 for the general public. Tickets are sold at the box office at 7 p.m. Performances begin at 7:30 p.m. No late seating.

Oct. 6-9 SE Campus’ drama program will present The Masque of Beauty and The Beast by Michael Brill in the C.A. Roberson Theatre. Performances will be 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday as well as 2 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The drama, directed by John Dement, is for a general audience. Admission is free to TCC students, faculty and staff, $6 for general admission and $3 for seniors and other students.

Oct. 12-16 The NW theater program will present The Poe Murders, a new play written and directed by Josh Blann. Set in present-day New Orleans during Mardi Gras, this murder mystery puts a more contemporary take on the works of Edgar Allan Poe. A series of unsolved murders leads a literature professor on an investigation to connect the ghastly killings only to discover that the criminals are his own students. Showtimes are 7:30 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday in the WTLO theater. This play is intended for mature audiences. Admission prices for all productions are $6 for general admission, $3 for seniors and non-TCC students and free for TCC students, faculty and staff. For more information, call the box office at 817-515-7724.

Music

Oct. 11 SE Campus music ensembles — Chamber Orchestra, Concert Choral and Jazz Band — will perform 7:30-10 p.m. in the C.A. Roberson Theatre. The concert will highlight performances from each group.

Oct. 18 The NE Campus music faculty presents Music Through the Centuries. The concert program includes works ranging from the Middle Ages to the 21st century. Open to the public, the performance begins at 7:30 p.m. in Center Corner (NSTU 1516). For more information, contact Karen Parsons, department chair, at karen.parsons@tccd.edu.

Oct. 18 NW Campus music department will present a faculty recital at 7 p.m. in the NW Recital Hall (WFAB 1105). The free concert with adjunct instructor Echo Wilson on piano and adjunct instructor Patricia Bedford, soprano, will feature the music of Franz Liszt. For more information, contact Richard Powell at richard.powell@tccd edu.

Oct. 25 Mike Morey, a member of the NE Campus music faculty, will present a guitar concert at 7:30 p.m. in College Hall (NCAB 1111). The performance is open to the public. For more information, contact Morey at michael.morey@tccd.edu.

Oct. 27 The NW music department presents Faculty Noontime Recital featuring faculty performances from different periods at 12:30 p.m. in the NW Recital Hall (WFAB 1105).

Art

Now-Oct. 6 The South Campus Carillon Gallery presents Works on Paper, brand new artwork by Enrico Riley from Dartmouth College. Riley received an American Academy of Arts and Letters purchase prize for his painting “Giant Steps,” which now resides in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. The Carillon Gallery in the Joe B. Rushing Center for Performing Arts is open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays or by appointment.

Now-Oct. 8 SE Campus Art Corridor II presents The Pencil of Nature: James Dewhirst and Angilee Wilkerson, curated by Christopher Blay. The exhibit of photographs reflects how two photographers approach nature and the landscape. Wilkinson’s images are of thickets, grasslands and flood plains of North Texas and Southern Oklahoma. Dewhirst concentrates on the serenity of nature. Open to the public, Art Corridor II Gallery is open 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays.

Now-Oct. 20 The NE Art Association presents the Best In Show competitive art exhibit on display in College Hall (NCAB 1111). The exhibit showcases student artwork recommended for submission by art teachers. Chosen by popular vote, the winner will receive a $150 cash prize. Students, faculty, staff and visitors can vote for their favorite art piece in College Hall until noon Oct. 20.

Now-Nov. 7 Three works by Andrew Stalder, NE associate professor of art, are on display in the J. Ardis Bell Library on NE Campus. With a feel of graffiti, Stalder’s inspiration comes from the culture of hip-hop music. His tools include markers, spray paint and stencils. Stalder considers his works like self-portraits, a discovery of self through painting.

Oct. 10-Nov. 5 NW will present It Isn’t What We Thought It Was, an art exhibit in WFAB Lakeview Gallery, featuring works from artists Janet Chaffee and Benito Huerta. These works combine their visions with materials and plans from their homes and offices. Chaffee and Huerta will be honored at a reception 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. Oct. 15 in the gallery. They will discuss their work noon-1 p.m. Gallery hours are 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays and 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays.

Oct. 13-Nov. 12 SE Campus will present String Theory: Connecting Lines featuring the work of artists Tiffany Wolf, Janet Chaffee and Anne Allen. Wolf’s designs are 3-D lace structures, Chaffee’s various materials resemble lace patterns while Allen’s organic forms reveal patterns. The works are on display in ESEC Art Corridor ll 8 a.m.-10 p.m Mondays-Fridays and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturdays. An opening reception will be held 5-7:30 p.m. Oct 13. The exhibit is free and open to the public.

Dance

Oct. 5-7 NW student activities and the humanities division will bring well-known hip-hop dancer/instructor/choreographer Lamesha Vine to teach free dance classes for students at 8:20 p.m. Wednesday and Friday and 12:30-1:50 p.m. Thursday in WHPE 1103. Students can attend all or one.

Oct. 21 Mosaic Dance Project, NW’s touring company, presents Mosaic in Motion 7:30-9 p.m. in Theatre NW. General admission is $5, students with ID are $1 and TCC faculty and staff are free.

Oct. 22 SE Campus will host a concert featuring dance companies from NE, NW, South and SE campuses. The district performance will be 7:30-10 p.m. in the C.A. Roberson Theatre on SE. Dallas Black Dance Theatre II will appear as special guests. Tickets are free with TCC ID and $5 for general admission.

Special Events

Oct. 6 SE Campus will hold a reception and readings for the 2011 issue of its literary publication, The Compass, 6-8 p.m. in the library. For more information, contact Pennie Boyett, the publication’s faculty adviser, at 817-515-3140.

Oct. 14 The South Campus film club in conjunction with disability supports services will host the Fort Worth premiere of an American Sign Language film Versa Effect. The 90-minute film is a creation of ASL films and features deaf actors including one from Tarrant County. The writers, producers and promoters are from the deaf community. The film will be shown at 4 p.m. with captions and at 7 p.m. without captions in SREC Recital Hall. Proceeds from the $11 price will support future endeavors of the nonprofit film agency.