Names & Events

Now-Nov. 7 NE faculty and students are invited to attend free Zumba classes. Zumba combines Latin and international music with dance to make exercise fun. Classes are 2-3 p.m. every Monday in Center Corner (NSTU 1615A). Participants do not have to attend each week and may stay for all or part of the class. For questions, call health services at 817-515-6056.

Oct. 5 Until supplies are exhausted, flu shots will be available on SE Campus 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday in ESEC 2118. Cost is $12.

Oct. 5 NE health services and AIDS Outreach will sponsor free confidential HIV and syphilis testing 9 a.m.-2 p.m. in the health services office (NSTU 1704A). Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are encouraged. For more information, call 817-515-6056.

Oct. 5 The NE Health Fair will be 9 a.m-2 p.m. in Center Corner (NSTU 1615A). Free screenings for blood pressure, body fat, bone density, glucose and much more will be offered. Attendees can register to become bone marrow donors. A limited number of flu shots will also be available for $12. Those who want to pay by credit card must go to business services in NADM. For more information, contact health services at 817-515-6056.

Oct. 5 Carter BloodCare will host a blood drive on NE. Students can donate 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in two locations: the Galley (NSTU 1506A) or outside in the mobile bus parked near the chessboard. A photo ID is required.

Oct. 5 Students are invited to attend Leadership Academy #1—Inclusivity Training on SE Campus. Sponsored by student activities, the event will be held 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. in ESCT 1201. Students will watch a DVD on leadership challenges and fill out a response sheet. Certificates of completion will be awarded, and students may register in advance for the one-hour sessions.

Oct. 5 Certified etiquette consultant and entrepreneur Armie Snarley will conduct Business Etiquette 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. in the SSTU Texas Room on South Campus. Knowing proper etiquette can improve students’ chances of occupational and personal growth. Soft skills include introducing clients and making them feel comfortable, understanding and respecting precedence or selecting the right fork at a six-course dinner. This seminar will teach individual skills that can be applied to life today.

Oct. 5 Leah Morris of the Fort Worth School of Metaphysics will present Undivided Attention: Discovering the Power of Your Mind noon-1 p.m. in the Discovery Room (TRTR 3102) as part of TR Campus’ lunchtime workshop series. Morris will give tips on how to focus in class and the benefits students can gain from focusing. Students may call Stevie Blakely at 817-515-1330 for more information.

Oct. 6 Texas Health Wellness for Life will offer free mammograms 9 a.m.-3 p.m. for women 35 or older in the mobile bus located near the NE Campus flagpole. Certain requirements must be met. Call 1-877-THR-WELL (847-9355) for more information or to make an appointment.

Oct. 6 ABC’s to Success: Setting Goals and Making Right Decisions (Part II) seminar will be presented by Carl Scherrieb, academic advisor, 12:30-1:30 p.m. in the SSTU Texas Room on South Campus. Students do not need to have attended the first session.

Oct. 7 NE student services will present three screenings of the gay-themed comedy But I’m a Cheerleader at 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. in NSTU Center Corner in observance of LGBT History Month.

Oct. 7 South health services will sponsor Breast Cancer Prevention: The Best Protection noon-1 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room on South Campus. Dr. Robyn Young will educate attendees on the importance of prevention, early detection and treatment of breast cancer. Free lunch will be provided for attendees who RSVP to gloria.irvin@tccd.edu or health services at 817-515-4531.

Oct. 7-Dec. 2 NE vice president for student development services Maggie de la Teja and assistant Stacy Herrera will begin weekly walks 7:45-8:15 a.m. as part of the Shape Up employee health initiative on the NE jogging path near the tennis courts. Walks will be every Friday through Dec. 2, granted weather is fair. Students are invited to participate.

Oct. 8 Proyecto Inmigrante, a nonprofit agency aimed at helping immigrants in the community, will hold its annual immigration conference 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. at St. Luke’s Catholic Church in Irving. Students can check out booths and guest speakers with information regarding new immigration laws as well as education and scholarship opportunities, residency and citizenship status. For more information, contact South Campus student Jesus Zamarripa at 817-615-7096.

Oct. 10 SE Campus will have a Columbus Day scavenger hunt 10 a.m.-4 p.m. beginning in the student activities office (ESCT 1201). Participants will answer questions that will lead to clues during the hunt, and prizes will be awarded.

Oct. 11 Robert Beardsley with the OmniAmerican Bank will hold a financial literacy workshop at noon in the Discover Room (TRTR 3102) on TR Campus. Beardsley will speak on various savings accounts and methods available to students.

Oct. 11 NE health services and JPS Health Network will host a four-part brown bag lunch series titled Diabetes Empowerment Education Program, or DEEP, 12:30-1:30 p.m. in the Galley (NSTU 1506A). The classes are for everyone including individuals with diabetes and those at risk for the disease. Toya Norton of JPS community diabetes case management will speak on nutrition, healthy habits and motivation. Attendees are asked to bring their own lunch. Refreshments and a healthy snack will be provided.

Oct. 11 Academic advisor Donna Gohlke will present Social Media Footprints 1-2 p.m. in the SSTU Texas Room on South Campus.

Oct. 11 SE Campus writing center will provide a free grammar workshop at 6 p.m. in ESEE 2227A.

Oct. 12 NE career services and the service learning program will host a recruitment and volunteer fair 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on the NSTU lawn by the chessboard during Fall Fiesta. Students can meet with potential employers and nonprofit agencies for information about employment or volunteer opportunities. For more information, contact career services at 817-515-6692.

Oct. 12 SE Campus will host a Health Fair 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Main Commons. A blood drive and bone marrow registry will be held 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in the North Ballroom.

Oct. 12 Instructional associate Shawn Stewart will deliver a seminar comparing MLA and APA documentation styles as part of the Lunchtime Workshop Series noon-1 p.m. in the Discover Room (TRTR 3102) on TR Campus. Students may call Stevie Blakely at 817-515-1330 for more information.

Oct. 13 SE Campus will host a Cultural Expo 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. in the Main Commons. Staff members and organizations will demonstrate their cultures and present information about different countries, and different flags will be displayed.

Oct. 13 Alyssa Yingst of the Tarrant Literacy Coalition, an organization that fights local illiteracy, will speak noon-1 p.m. in the Idea Store’s Empower Pod on TR Campus. Yingst will speak on the impact of child illiteracy. To register, go to http://tccd.volunteerhub.com. Students may call student development associate Laura Escamilla at 817-515-1194 for more information.

Oct. 18 Free confidential HIV testing will be given 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the SACC 1331 on South Campus. Call 817-515-4531 for an appointment. Walk-ins will be accepted as time permits on a first-come, first-served basis.

Oct. 19 NW will host a seminar on time management 12:30-2:30 p.m. in WSTU 1305. Students will learn helpful tips on how to balance school, work, study time and extracurricular activities. Planners will be provided for students as well as time management scenarios to advance skill-building. Topics will include managing time effectively, scheduling for success and balancing monthly, weekly and daily life.