Electrical shut down to hit NE on Nov. 7

By Shelly Williams/editor-in-chief

Unless faculty and students want spoiled and rotting food, they need to clean out any refrigerators in their area on NE Campus in two weeks.

Maintenance will shut down NE Campus electricity Nov. 7 as part of the renovations being done to the NE Business and Social Sciences building. The shut down is necessary to replace the main electrical feed into the building, NE facility manager Mike Tankersley said.

The process will turn off an underground electrical loop that connects to every building except the NE Multi-purpose Center, Tankersley said. The four classes held in NBSS Nov. 7 will be moved to NMPC for that day along with the NE nurse.

“It’ll take six to 12 hours,” he said. “But all critical functions, like ice boxes and telephones, will be run on generators.”

Three generators will be installed before Nov. 7 in the cafeteria, microbiology area and the NE Technology and Arts Building.

The generators are covered under the construction contract, Tankersley said.

If there is another area that needs a generator before the shut-off, call vice president for teaching and learning Gary Smith at 817-515-6686.