NE to sponsor art classes in Tuscany

By Keisha McDuffie/ne news editor

Hands-on training in the classroom is nothing new. But the opportunity two instructors have created for a group of TCC students is beyond hands-on.

The presence of four walls and a chalkboard is anything but a necessity for Vicki Kluthe, drawing instructor, and Patricia Richards, photography instructor. In this case, hands-on refers to the grounds of a 14th century palace, villages outside of Italy and marketplaces in Siena.

Photography in Tuscany and Drawing in Tuscany, Arts 1316, are the course titles, but they only skim the depth of these classes. In what is more like a vacation, students can experience all of Tuscany and other areas while earning three semester credits.

The most exciting aspect of the trip for Kluthe is the history.

“Italy has a long history, and we’ll be viewing art and paintings, pieces we’ve been learning about our entire lives,” she said.

Upon arrival in Rome, Italy, May 13, students will have little time to settle in before they are off by train to one of the several historical destinations. With an itinerary including Florence, Pienza and Venice, the possibility of a creative block might be impossible.

“I do this [travel study] because it’s a life-changing experience,” Richards said. “It takes you out of yourself; it gives you the opportunity to see things in a different perspective.”

The drawing class will explore two- and three-dimensional subjects. In addition to keeping a very detailed journal, students will also learn the art of a quick sketch.

While the photography students will have endless photo opportunities, they also will have sessions on film, development and digital downloading.

The course requirements also include a couple of preliminary meetings and participation in a fall exhibit of the students’ drawings and photos.

Richards said the best way to reserve a spot is to pay a $700 down payment as soon as possible.

The 12-day course will wrap up May 25, just in time for summer. The full payment deadline for Drawing and Photography in Tuscany is March 30.

For more information or an application, contact Kluthe at vicki.kluthe@tccd.edu or 817-515-6618 or Richards at patricia.richards@tccd.edu.