Apathetic voting jeopardizes future

In my government class of about 35 students, everyone is either 18 or older.

When asked about elections, more than half the students raised their hands to admit they weren’t registered to vote and had never participated in any elections. I couldn’t pass judgment because my hand was also raised.

Americans are quick to raise their voices on issues they feel strongly about. However, many, especially younger groups, don’t exercise their right to vote. And the question is, why not?

Personally, along with many other young people, I hadn’t voted because I didn’t know how to register.

But signing up is relatively easy. If you live in Texas, you can go to votetexas.org and learn step by step how to register.

With a process that simple, it’s startling that so many young people don’t vote.

The number one reason many don’t is because they think one vote won’t change anything. As a result, many don’t bother. Others simply don’t have time to vote or keep up with elections.

Last week, a student told me she didn’t care what happened in the United States as long as it didn’t affect her — a blatantly ignorant statement, and, unfortunately, many Americans share this same mindset.

Unless something directly impedes them from living a decent life, they aren’t the least bit concerned about what goes on in this country. This attitude is like a fast-spreading cancer within our society.

College students and younger Americans of voting age must understand they have the most to gain and lose in elections.

They’ll live with the results of today’s local and presidential elections whether or not they decide to vote.

Simply put, when people don’t exercise their constitutional right to vote, they may as well be back at age 5 letting their mom and dad dictate the rules with no choice but to abide by them.