Movie Review-Fool’s Gold

Hudson and McConaughey go on a quest for Spanish treasure.  Photo courtesy Warner Bros. Pictures
Hudson and McConaughey go on a quest for Spanish treasure. Photo courtesy Warner Bros. Pictures

By Sara Pintilie/entertainment editor

Fool’s Gold (3 stars)

Fool’s Gold is exactly that. The film looks like a shiny gem with the radiant Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey.

But upon closer examination, the movie is just a glittery rock.

The farfetched storyline revolves around a shipwreck filled with treasure just waiting to be found.

McConaughey plays Finn, an aquatic man-boy with nine lives. On his quest to surface the treasure, he gets entangled with a famous rapper, Bigg Bunny, and his henchman.

Finn finds a clue to where the bounty lies; alas, he loses his boat to Davy Jones’ Locker and now owes major money to Bigg Bunny.

Now really in a jam, Finn enlists the help of his ex-wife, Tess (Hudson), and an upper crust millionaire, Nigel (Donald Sutherland).

The movie has everything the audience needs. Odd-sized explosions? Check. Half-naked leading couple? Check. Malcolm-Jamal Warner? Check.

But the flimsy plot and the extravagance of a simple treasure hunt muddle the only good essence of the film: Hudson and McConaughey.

The two work well together and have a great chemistry. They were great in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and good in this flick.

But the sparkle of Hudson and McConaughey doesn’t save this shipwreck of a movie.