Heart-healthy program to address cardiac-care myths

By Danilynn Welniak/reporter

In order to accent February as National Heart Month, and with respect to Valentine’s Day, NE health services will sponsor a heart-healthy program next week.

Dr. Jenny Adams will present Traditional Exercise Advice for Cardiac Health: Dismiss the Myths 12:30-1:30 p.m. Feb. 12 in the NSTU Center Corner.

Adams will address traditional exercise advice and distinguish between the fact and fiction of cardiac health.
“ Students young, old and in between will learn the importance of starting a healthy lifestyle now,” said Pat Marling, NE coordinator of health services.

Currently a research associate in the cardiac rehabilitation department at Baylor Hamilton Heart and Vascular Hospital, Adams graduated from Texas A&M University in 1991 with a doctorate in exercise physiology.

Adams has 16 years of experience working with patients in rehabilitation and research settings.

“ It’s valuable to know that cardiac health begins with diet and exercise, ” Marling said.

“ [Students] need to learn to start young but also realize that it’s not too late to start.”

While Adams speaks, her presentation will be accompanied by a free heart-healthy lunch. The menu includes chicken and vegetable stir-fry with wild rice and angel food cake.

RSVP to 817-515-6056 by Monday to reserve a seat.