Black History Month Calendar

Now-Feb. 29 SE Campus has a Black History Month exhibit in Art Corridor III during school hours. Visitors can view portraits of 20 influential African-Americans that made a difference in the world. Call student activities at 817-515-3595 for more information.

Now-Feb. 29 The NE Campus J. Ardis Bell Library has a children’s book display showcasing the African-American experience in Texas. Material from the exhibit is available for viewing and checkout during library business hours in its lobby.

Now-Feb. 29 The African-American Heritage Month Photo Exhibit will be in WSTU 1303 on NW Campus during school hours. The display is set up by the Photography Interest Club for Seniors.

Now-Feb. 29 The NE Campus J. Ardis Bell Library will display Mosier Valley: A Historical Photography Exhibit during library business hours in its lobby. The area was the first free African-American community in Texas, established in the 1870s. For additional information, contact TCC archivist Tom Kellam at thomas.kellam@tccd.edu.

Now-March 3 Black Faces and White Walls: Paintings and Drawings by Rosie Lee will run in Art Corridor II. The display is available all day, and the closing reception will be noon-2 p.m. March 3. For more information, contact SE art instructional associate Christopher Blay at 817-515-3406 or christopher.blay@tccd.edu.

Feb. 24 Understanding Black Leadership: An Overview of the Longstanding Debate over Nationalism versus Integration will be 10:40-11:35 a.m. in the SE Campus library. Jason E. Shelton, UTA sociology professor, will be the presenter.

Feb. 24 I Am Black and …, a roundtable discussion featuring the perspectives of the African diaspora, will take place 11 a.m.-12:20 p.m. in the Walsh Library on NW Campus. The event is open to students, faculty and staff.

Feb. 24 The districtwide African-American Heritage: Celebrating Strides will feature keynote speaker Keith Davis 5-8 p.m. in WSTU 1303/1305 on NW Campus. Complimentary T-shirts, entertainment and food will be available. Registration begins at 4 p.m.

Feb. 25 NE Campus will hold a showing of Selma — The Bridge to the Ballot followed by a Q&A session with professors from the sociology, history and government departments 11 a.m.-12:20 p.m. in the Darlage Center Corner (NSTU 1615A). For additional information, call student activities at 817-515-6644.

Feb. 25 South Campus is hosting Controversial Issues in Our Culture 2-4 p.m. in the Living Room (SSTU 2105). Students, faculty and staff can engage in a conversation addressing the controversial issues that surround the community.

Feb. 25 TR Campus will screen the film Selma in the TR Idea Store. Showtimes vary. For more information, call 817-515-1036.

Feb. 25 African-American Read In: African-Americans and the Arts will be 11:30 a.m.-12:50 p.m. in the C.A. Roberson Theatre on SE Campus. All are welcome to hear readings in honor of African-American History Month. For more information, call the SE library reference desk at 817-515-3084.

Feb. 26 TR Campus will host the 29th Leadership eXperience Summit 1:30-3:30 p.m. in Action A (TRTR 4202). Kam S. Phillips, founder of Dream Outside the Box, will speak about imaginative careers. For more information, call 817-515-1036. Students can RSVP at www.tccd.student-hub.com.