4 TCC students win scholarships from Telemundo

Max Orocio, Kenneth Carrasco, Tiare Gonzalez, Diana Gonzalez, Edith Mariscal, Adriana Arbelaez and Gloria Varela pose with the Telemundo 39 sign. All of these students are recipients of the network’s scholarship. Photo courtesy Telemundo

By Raegan Scharfetter/managing editor

Four TCC students received Hispanic Business Salute – Telemundo 39 scholarships.

SE student Diana Gonzalez and NE student Max Orocio received $2,500 while NE student Edith Mariscal and TR student Adriana Arbelaez received $1,250 for their submissions.

Students had to be bilingual to apply. The application called for a written essay and a referral from a previous professor.

Roughly 40 people were interviewed, and only nine moved forward into the second round from which Telemundo selected the scholarship winners.

Mariscal said she is grateful for the opportunity  that the scholarship provided her.

“I’ve always tried and done my best to be a good student,” she said. “It is always good to apply. It doesn’t matter if you feel like you won’t receive a particular one because you never know!”

Orocio said as a full-time student who plans on continuing to work to pay for college, he is grateful to have been chosen.

“Your chances are as good as anybody else, and it doesn’t take long to apply,” he said. “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.”