Serving the Tarrant County College District

Campaign initiated to improve behaviors

By Robert Barowski/ne news editor

The dictionary defines the world civility as a polite act or expression.
   At NE Campus, students and faculty want to create an atmosphere rich with civility and have launched a campaign to do just that.
   Dr. Van Parker, dean of student development and educational services, initiated the program after consulting and listening to concerns of faculty members.
   “ Some of their students exhibit a lack of respect and courtesy in the classroom,” he said. “I felt we needed to place additional emphasis on the importance of civility in the classroom.”
   Parker said he hopes the program will demonstrate to the college community the importance of treating others with respect and help strengthen and protect the learning environment on NE Campus.
   NE faculty members were made aware of the program at their staff meetings before classes began. Their response to the program was favorable.
   Linda Wright, assistant professor of history and history department chair, voiced her support of the new program.
   “ It is a positive program. It serves as a reminder that we don’t always remember to treat people with respect,” she said. “The main thrust of the program, I think, is to have people give pause to think on how we can be more considerate to others.”
   At a student activities luncheon last month, buttons were distributed so student leaders and organization members would wear them to send a message to other students.
   The plan is to get the buttons to spread across the campus and get everyone involved.
   Buttons are available in the student activities office for anyone who is interested in picking them up.
   “ Student activities is handing them out to all students who have their student I.D. made in the office and to anyone else who stops by,” Anne Cates, NE student development coordinator, said.
   “ I hope that simply by wearing one of these civility buttons, the entire learning community of NE Campus will continue to be reminded of the importance of practicing polite and courteous behavior,” Parker said.
   All new students who went through new student group advisement received a PowerPoint presentation on civility, and the matter is covered in the student handbook everyone receives.
   The button campaign expands the program to all other students on campus.
   Parker made the point that civility plays a much bigger role than only in the classroom.
   “It’s applicable to all of our personal relationships, including in the classroom, at our place of employment and in our daily lives,” he said.
   After the button campaign, Parker hopes the college community will continue to emphasize civility in one way or another.
   “ There are many faculty members who consistently demonstrate the importance of civility through their teaching methods and interaction with students,” he said.