Leaders learn recruitment strategies

By Bitty Reilly/south news editor

A seminar at the new RadioShack headquarters in downtown Fort Worth last month offered students advice on group and club recruitment techniques and retention methods.
   Club presidents and members from the four campuses attended the luncheon and three-hour speech.
   David Kelly, speaker, humorist and trainer, provided a few ways to increase enrollment.
   Clubs and student activities are synonymous with the college life. To make students and faculty aware of the various programs, the organizations often have recruitment activities, which was Kelly’s primary focus.
   “ Some methods for successful club days and activity fairs include properly set-up booths,” he said.
   Booths, to organize sign-up lists and informational materials, should be pushed against tri-fold signs, posters or a wall, Kelly said. This placement provides a more unrestrained meeting area, which should not have chairs.
   “ Try to have three recruiters,” he said. “One recruiter should be a door person.”
   That person should bring potential members to the other recruiters in the recruitment area and continue greeting potential new members at the door, Kelly said.
   “ This recruitment area should be in a high traffic place and offer give-aways,” he said. “It is good to play music, and offering food and candy is a must.”
   During his presentation, Kelly encouraged audience participation and used props to capture and hold the campus representatives’ attention. Kelly demonstrated the influence of music by having the students dance to “YMCA” and other songs.
   The Rotoract Club, which does humanitarian work and community services, is planning to implement some of Kelly’s techniques, Wednesday-Thursday, Feb. 8-9, from noon to 2 p.m. in the NTAB lobby.
   Jonathan Vincent, vice president of the Rotoract Club, attended the workshop.
   “ [Kelly’s] lecture wasn’t boring,” he said. “Instead of using references from childhood and skits to give us a way to relate, he gave good examples making the information he was trying to convey easy to remember.”
   Vincent said he took away useful information.
   “ I like the idea of give-aways that have something with the club contact and name on them.    That is a good promotion method for others to remember us,” he said.
   Luis Aleman, president of the Latino Student Union, plans on using the music and free food at the Cinco de Mayo celebration. LSU has had an increase from three to 10 members since Kelly’s seminar.
   “ We are planning a big celebration May 3 for Cinco de Mayo. The celebration is early to work around finals,” he said. “We are using flyers for promotion and are already planning for the budget.”
   The May 3 celebration will be on the SSTU patio from noon to 2 p.m.
   “ LSU is selling carnations for Valentine’s day in the SSTU Dining Room Monday-Tuesday Feb. 13-14. During the celebration and scholarship fund-raiser, we will have a meet and greet educating members and faculty,” he said.
   Kelly’s methods of retention, which can be useful to student and faculty groups and even in new friendships, are to have “inclusion by a buddy system and to encourage active participation in projects and activities.”
   Kelly shared his mistakes and embarrassing moments as examples of trial and error.
   “ Volunteer and get out there and join activities,” he said.
   His favorite quote by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe appears on the backs of his business cards and sums up his theory on success.
   “ Whatever you can do or dream, you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it,” it reads.
   Kelly offers a monthly newsletter offering advice on groups and retention. To sign up, visit his Web site at www.gonzospeaks.com.