CD Review-The Derailers-Soldiers of Love

By Isaiah smith/reporter

Country-rock ’n’ roll band The Derailers returns with a new label, new members and a new rocker edge with Soldiers of Love. Lead singer Tony Villanueva left The Derailers after its last album to become a pastor, but the group has rebounded.

“ We’ve always been a country band with a rockin’ heart,” Brian Hofeldt, new lead singer and co-founder of The Derailers, said in a press release. “I always said that Tony was a little bit country and I was a little bit rock ’n’ roll, so there’s a little more rock ’n’ roll in there now.”

In addition to Hofeldt stepping up into the lead singer position, two other members were recruited to complete the new sound: steel guitarist Chris Schlotzhauer and pianist Sweet Basil McJagger.

“ Soldier of Love,” the title track, is a cover of an Arthur Alexander song made famous by the Beatles. The wordplay is great on this song, and the country edge is really nice.

“Donna Sue Earline,” a supposed rock track on the album, has a good beat to it, yet it falls short of rock for me. The country twang never leaves this band, making it more of a hybrid group.

“ The One Before Me,” a soft love ballad, showcases Hofeldt’s vocals well. The simple melody and catchy hook make this a good single.

“ I hadn’t done much ballad singing in the past on Derailers records, so I was a little bit nervous about that … but we got in and started doing it and it was like falling off a log. We all connected with it really well,” Hofeldt said.

“ She’s a Lot like Texas,” a mid-tempo track that embraces the country-rock sound, compares a woman to Texas—sounds like my kind of woman.

It is an enjoyable song that a lot of people would like. Many girls consider themselves to be a lot like Texas, and they are, so it is a perfect fit, Hofeldt said.

The Derailers tends to stay away from the typical country sound, but it goes head-long into that classic country sound on the first song Hofeldt co-wrote with producer Buzz Cason “Cold Beer, Hot Women and Cool Country Music.”

“ Poppycock” is just a honky-tonk freestyle with plenty of energy. McJagger’s piano skills are showcased well on this song.

“ It’s Never Too Late for a Party” is a fun, funny song that is totally hilarious. The lyrics are tongue-in-cheek, and the music is bouncy.

Overall, Soldiers of Love is a fairly good country album. I give it three stars. I did not hear much rock in there; do not advertise something you do not have.